FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Which headphones sound good with the Solo ULDE?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
apj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which headphones sound good with the Solo ULDE?
    Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 4:34pm
Hello there, i am here on direct recommendation from Chord electronics on an amp to pair with the qutest, i was wondering which headphones you guys like to pair with the Solo ULDE as it will be my first system and i would like to get something that i know will sound nice. I don't mind price though cheaper wouldn't be a bad thing and im open to both planar and dynamic drivers. I noticed the amp wasnt awfully powerful unless im interpreting it wrong and im used to looking at power hungry planars so im not too sure what to get, i like headphones that arent bright or sibilant with some nice timbre if that helps. Thanks in advance!

P.S: i am also looking at the 2 monoblocks for power hungry headphones if anyone has done that and can confirm its safe to do it would be greatly appreciated.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:00pm

Solo Ultra-Linear and Proprius monoblocks both drive AKG K1000 fully. Impedance of the K1000 is 120 Ohms and its electrical sensitivity is 74 dB/mW, so inefficient. Both setups are pretty much equally capable. Other headphones can be used from the speaker amps if you implement a resistive cable.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by apj apj wrote:

I am here on direct recommendation from Chord electronics

I just fainted

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
apj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:16pm
Thankyou so much wow that’s a lot more powerful than i thought that’s very appealing to me thankyou.
apj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:18pm
Haha i was pretty surprised since i’m just getting into this hobby id never heard of your stuff but i’m glad i asked because your stuff is truly gorgeous and if it’s as good as chord said it was i should have met my end game in my first system i’m sure you’ll be hearing from me again shortly :)
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 9:52pm
I prefer to adapt headphones to work with the speaker amps so that I can switch between a headphone setup and a speaker setup, without having additional cables, power supply and metal box.

Some headphone loads are not suitable for use with the Proprius; I assume most/all of them can be adjusted with a cable but I don't know this for sure and I do not have the know-how to advise on making such cables.

I really like my Slee gear, it is superb and easy to use. The Proprius can have a bit of audible hiss at certain dial positions depending on the connected load. I get around this by careful choice of dial position so that they remain dead silent, to my ears. I do not recommend turning the gain dials "out of circuit" but instead and for simplicity, 9, 12 or 3 o'clock depending on impedance/sensitivity, usually 9 or 12 then I adjust volume with the preamp dial. Keeps a dead quiet background; lovely.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
apj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 11:40pm
Thankyou for the insight into your system, ill keep that in mind going forward ill most likely get some of the cheaper KEFs down the line to use at my desk since i wouldnt use them too often and ill run monoblocks with those, for now i think the Solo ULDE with a used qutest (good price ~£800 which is why im picking it for my fist system i also love the aesthetic and sound as its described) and headphone of my choice should run nicely, though id love to explore both chord and slee stuff more because it does seem like its exactly what i want especially the majestic, its truly gorgeous. Thanks again for the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic