FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

When should we expect a GSP DAC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 10:04pm
The mini USB interface has to come first before the "big DAC" and at last I'm onto that. The analogue filter is good IMO. However, for it to succeed I reckon it needs features and those are what I'm working on now. Namely a 75 Ohm S/PDIF transformer isolated coax output and an optical output. Both are quite demanding of TTL current and I'm onto the buffering section to drive them now. It also has to power down (suspend) after a few mS of no signal, requiring logic so here is where my 1980s experience is having the wake up call. Trying to get it all USB powered via a "Lautus" tech USB cable and within the allotted 100mA. John C gave me a challenge to get it all into a case 80mm x 55mm x 22mm. I hope his surface mounting skills are good! The analogue section will hopefully be conventional through hole.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 7:19pm
Anybody who has compared different USB-cables and if it has any impact on sound quality. I have tested some different cables, but I can´t discriminate between them.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Humboldt Humboldt wrote:

Anybody who has compared different USB-cables and if it has any impact on sound quality. I have tested some different cables, but I can´t discriminate between them.

Oh yes! We found it easy to discriminate between what we tested and now there's a prototype Lautus USB cable connecting my computer's USB to the streamer I've got in development. Maybe it's my little streamer letting us hear this? I'm trying to get the work complete and then there'll be both - cable and streamer to loan and comment on.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 10:01pm
I for one can say I found the difference quite stunning between the stock cable that came with my old DAC and the specifically for audio use-engineered Wireworld Ultraviolet USB cable I purchased last year. I must say I was a bit sceptical beforehand but the difference was undeniable. An audio specific USB cable is really a must if you want good sound via USB connection.

Though I should add that this old DAC was not an asynchronous model and therefore the cable may have played a more vital role than with newer and more expensive DACs that have inbuilt clocks to regulate the bitstream.

Edited by suede - 06 Nov 2012 at 11:53pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 9:29am
Ah, I see...

• It is wrong to use the clock frequency the music data is referenced to...
  • Computers are absolutely unstable (so why does everything else on it synchronize perfectly?)
  • It sounds better if you make up your own clock and make the music data fit it by a process of stuffing-in music data that doesn't really exist to pad it out.
  • Let's run an LP at 34 rpm and then correct it to 33.3333rpm using electronics...
  • I'd prefer to hear it at 34 rpm without any electronics mucking it up thank you!

And if by messing around like this you can also remove cable effect then we can rid the world of brainy people at long last...

...and we can all return to an amoebic state!

One day the BS has to end - surely it cannot last forever?

Edited by Graham Slee - 07 Nov 2012 at 10:01am
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 2:18pm
I am no expert by any stretch of it and never claimed to be, I just assumed there might be something to asynchronous DACs since everone seems so eager to call theirs such.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 2:39pm
The comment wasn't aimed at any member here.

The hi-fi industry is the pattern part industry with the odd exception, such as us.

Therefore when the well-known brands go shopping in the far east for a new product to add to their ranges they all buy essentially the same thing, which they style to fit their eye-candy house-style. They may instruct to have it built with Wima's (screamers) or some other trendy cap, or they may simply choose the default circuit. They know just how gullible most customers are.

It's about money and investments and exit strategies.

The one thing it isn't about is your benefit.

And because they all bought the same pattern part the specifications are identical, so this years fashion is about bit stuffing (asynchronous) and next year it will probably be something else.

There is absolutely no individual innovation - apart from here! And more and more customers are waking up to what's going on (as our company check report will verify 'cos customers are moving over to us).

However, the uninitiated will spend big bucks on the strength of a magazine review and the big boys know that and secretly arrange for the editor's choice or 5 stars to happen (as a reviewer let slip to me...)

We will break their bows one day!

Either that or they'll need to commit murder and I wouldn't put that past them either.

In other words you're all being bullsh*tted and shafted.

Graham
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic