FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

When should we expect a GSP DAC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
DrHouse View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrHouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 4:13pm
Is there any chance whilst it's still in a development phase of considering asynchronous USB that supports 24 bit? Most recent DACs are supporting this and pc listening is the way to go. Also, it would be great to have it a similar design as the UL. Nothing better than a matching amp/ DAC set up!

Edited by DrHouse - 22 Oct 2012 at 4:14pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 4:46pm
The USB section I'm working on supports 24 bit 96kHz.

It throughputs internally at 16 bit 48kHz/44.1kHz (CD quality).

It converts all bit rates and sampling frequencies automatically. So if it comes off the computer at 24 bit 96kHz, or 24 bit 88.2kHz, or 24 bit 48kHz, or 16 bit 48kHz or 16 bit 44.1kHz, it plays.

For example whilst typing this I'm listening to some ELP at 16 bit 44.1kHz, and now I'm swapping to Bob Marley/Legend 24 bit 96kHz and changing to 24 bit in Foobar output preferences - click Apply, and you hear the 'jump' or 'step in time' and it's playing, and the difference in quality can be heard.

The thing is some chip sets are rated 16 bit 48/44.1kHz and can only accept up to that, some accept the lot at input and you have to switch them manually, and others such as what I'm working on do it automatically, but with no boastful LEDs...

I have until now only claimed 16 bit 48/44.1kHz because that's the processing rate of the chip I'm using, but seeing others mislead then I have no alternative but to say it accepts all bits and frequencies up to 24 bit 96kHz, but in my case I just told the truth, plus you don't have to switch mine.

That explains the USB part, and that will feature in a small streamer, which I am listening on doing the above tests.

It will also cater for the USB input on the DAC (Solo sized hopefully), which does 24 bit 192kHz using a Wolfson chip set, configured my way.

Edited by Graham Slee - 22 Oct 2012 at 5:08pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
DrHouse View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrHouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

The USB section I'm working on supports 24 bit 96kHz.

It throughputs internally at 16 bit 48kHz/44.1kHz (CD quality).

It converts all bit rates and sampling frequencies automatically. So if it comes off the computer at 24 bit 96kHz, or 24 bit 88.2kHz, or 24 bit 48kHz, or 16 bit 48kHz or 16 bit 44.1kHz, it plays.

For example whilst typing this I'm listening to some ELP at 16 bit 44.1kHz, and now I'm swapping to Bob Marley/Legend 24 bit 96kHz and changing to 24 bit in Foobar output preferences - click Apply, and you hear the 'jump' or 'step in time' and it's playing, and the difference in quality can be heard.

The thing is some chip sets are rated 16 bit 48/44.1kHz and can only accept up to that, some accept the lot at input and you have to switch them manually, and others such as what I'm working on do it automatically, but with no boastful LEDs...

I have until now only claimed 16 bit 48/44.1kHz because that's the processing rate of the chip I'm using, but seeing others mislead then I have no alternative but to say it accepts all bits and frequencies up to 24 bit 96kHz, but in my case I just told the truth, plus you don't have to switch mine.

That explains the USB part, and that will feature in a small streamer, which I am listening on doing the above tests.

It will also cater for the USB input on the DAC (Solo sized hopefully), which does 24 bit 192kHz using a Wolfson chip set, configured my way.

OK thanks for the update, good to know and am looking forward to when you've got the finished product
davidc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 11:32pm
If the Big DAC is going to have a volume control (I hope it will) please don't make it like the one on the Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus.   It's really irritating to use - slippery and not smooth turning.  A small thing, but when you use it dozens of times a day it becomes annoying.  Please also give the Big DAC some Balanced XLR outs as well. 

Still love my NOVO.

David
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 10:08am
Balanced out will add a good amount of cost due to doubling of various components.
Miguel
Humboldt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humboldt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 10:13am
Originally posted by mrarroyo mrarroyo wrote:

Balanced out will add a good amount of cost due to doubling of various components.

But if the idea is to put the power amplifiers close to the speakers, then you will normally need to feed the amps from the DAC with rather long cables, i.e. if the DAC i thought of as being possible to use as an preamp. Then there would be good if it had balanced outs I guess.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 11:05pm
I forget I listen to music as either near field or via headphones.
Miguel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic