FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What chip is used in the Majestic DAC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 7:12am
"Cirrus Logic Inc. is an American fabless semiconductor supplier" (Wikipedia)

Unlike International Rescue it has no FAB!

And neither had Wolfson.

Unfortunately, in these days of vulture capitalists, manufacturing doesn't factor, or should I say, they factor it out. 

It's similar to me and printed circuit boards. I design them (have done for 40 years) except, once upon a time, I also manufactured them. Cirrus, Wolfson etc, have never manufactured semiconductors. They designed them and sub the manufacturing to fabrication plants.

One reason the fab plants are in China and Taiwan is coal. Other countries urged us to go green so we'd become reliant on them. Semiconductor silicon is made from quartz and coal.

Whereas printed circuits were printed (photo or screen) from 4:1, 2:1 or even 1:1 passive layer artworks, the fabrication layers of a silicon wafer work from several giant artworks reduced to masks, for depositing and etching metallic latices and silicon, using photo lithography and lasers. The process also includes incredible amounts of water - very pure water - and the year before last, Taiwan had a drought so had to ship in water from other countries, just for the machines. Drinking water was rationed.

But before that, Covid19 happened, and lockdowns meant that Just In Time manufacturing stopped, which closed down the machines. After two years, the World economy was so bad that governments decided to "let it rip" and try to restart, but that takes some time. The "bioweapon" (Covid19) is equipped with gain of function, so plants reopen only to shut again, with the next strain of Covid19.

He who shouts loudest gets fab time, and there are many more commercial applications in the queue before our lowly stereo needs.

So, even though there are alternatives to the abandoned Wolfson chipset, the lead times on these are years, not months. And even after a year or two has passed, some fabless semiconductor suppliers might run out of capital, or the vulture capitalists could do a runner.

It is even getting harder to source op-amps and other special function ICs, and so most of my time now is spent working on discrete transistor designs, using the few suitable transistors that are still being made.

I don't think I'm able to do a discrete DAC. Unhappy
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
PhilH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 1:48pm
Thanks Graham.
That’s both interesting and sad at the same time.
Philip 
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 7:18pm
Going on a tangent I have been reading that some HiFi manufacturers are now having trouble getting hold of Vacuum tubes since the Ukraine crisis!!
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 7:30pm
Try getting hold of KT120 tubes, a popular tube used in power amps.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
PhilH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 9:08pm
That’s amazing. Who would have thought!
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 9:00am
Originally posted by PhilH PhilH wrote:

That’s amazing. Who would have thought!

As Air Traffic Controller Johnny Henshaw-Jacobs would say, "first there were the dinosaurs...

Yes, there are terrible casualties in disasters, war, disease and famine. Relying on globalisation was a pathetic idea first tried in Babylon - where it all went down the pan - but that didn't stop them trying it again, and again, and again. Sleepy

Moore's law only works by removing limitations, and so all the inconvenient limitations were removed, because, while the ideologists were fighting amongst themselves, things went east, and the ideologists still didn't comprehend because they were still fighting amongst themselves - and always will - all the way to TEOTWAWKI. LOL

But then again, if the ideologists were infiltrated by countries having an organised plan - what then? Do we know of any countries having organised long term plans? Well, that can't happen in a democracy because the plans change at every election every four or five years, so it would have to be countries led by kings - or perhaps even dictators! Big smile

And then, the silly buggers fall right into their trap, and being unfortunately and unavoidably joined with them, we go down the pan with them. Ouch

Real clever! Clap

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 8:06pm
Sad to see the parts discontinued, especially as I use mine every day I am not away. I first heard a Majestic DAC when the UK loan scheme one arrived. I was the first one to use it and after a few days I knew I would be buying one. I have swapped speakers and amps quite a lot since then and enjoyed the Majestic as both DAC and preamp. Now I have a streamer feeding into the USB input and love it.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic