FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager Headphone Amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Phil Bishop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voyager Headphone Amp
    Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 10:18am
Hi Graham,

I have become very interested recently in the capabilities of ipods and similar MP3 players. I have read some interesting debates (some heated!) on Forums, etc. I like to hear my music well-reproduced and had always associated such players with harsh tinny music. My occasional listens to kid's ipods confirmed this impression.

But then I started reading that the recent generation ipods, etc, can import lossless music (CD quality) and that the no moving parts/flash memory nature of the Nano, etc, should lend itself to excellent digital reproduction. So I have bought both a Nano and Shuffle and am very impressed with the results with decent headphones.....but I feel it could be improved on.

Hence my interest in your new Voyager headphone amp. I have never owned a Graham Slee product, but have heard good things of your company. I like the idea of boosting the sound volume and quality, but I don't want to lose the "portability" of the ipod - I listen mostly when fitness walking with poles! Can you reassure me that the Voyager is truly portable and can be strapped on out of the way rather like an ipod? Do you know of ways of attaching the Voyager to an arm band or belt, etc?

Thanks!  
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 11:19am
Hi Phil,

Thanks for joining our little community!

I designed the Voyager to be suitable for most kinds of outdoor pursuits -  it may not be practical for an Olympic runner Wink, but it only weighs about 140 grams (5 ounces) approx. (the plug top PSU obviously weighs more but you won't usually be carrying that with you). It easily disappears in my shirt pocket and I don't shop at the "big man" store.

It straps very nicely to an ipod using some of that wide black elastic or a Velcro strap, and lots of customers do just that - we have lots of customers who use the Voyager just like you want to do. It should give great results with most street wear headphones like the iGrado and Sennheiser PX100 or PX200 for example, driving them to the sort of performance you'd get out of a HD650 (etc) albeit with contour switch in.

Best wishes,
Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 10:42pm
Thanks Graham. Now I came across this on one of your dealer's descriptions:

"The supplied 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable allows the 'headphone out' of the player to go into the 'line in' giving excellent results and superb volume and bass. However, when you buy a "port to 3.5mm" adapter, bypassing the amp circuits of the Pod player and there inferior digital volume control, this allows the Voyager to really impress."

Can you give me more details of the "port to 3.5mm" adapter ane where I could possibly get one for my current generation ipod Nano?

Thanks

Phil 
Darren/Audio Elevati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 1:06pm
We're working on this at the moment and have had 3 prototypes so far.  The next one should be the last so we'll not be long before we can get one to market.  Maplins currently do a "cheap" one at £14.99 but, although it's better than 3.5mm-3.5mm lead, it's not nearly as good as the one we're developing.  Trying to keep the price under £50 too.

Please send PM if you would like to be kept informed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 5:18pm
Thanks very much - can you tell me more - how it works exactly. I am interested, so let me know when one is available. In the meantime, can you point me in the right direction for the Maplins one? I assume it has a kind of docking port for the Nano on one end and a plug to go into the Voyager on the other?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 5:19pm
BTW, would you like me to test one of your prototypes?
Darren/Audio Elevati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 9:51pm
Maplins one has dock connector then a (very) thin wire that is on a little reel (that's the best way I can describe it).  It's therefore telescopic, which is useful as it means you don't have lots of spare cable, just the amount you need.  At the other end is the 3.5mm jack connector.

I'll let you have more re spec etc of ours when I can. 

The way it works?...the dock connector enables you to take a line out from the ipod, rather than using the headphone out.  The problem with the headphone out is as you've suggested already.  My main problem with it when I first got my ipod classic 160GB (I have the big one as it's all in lossless for best quality) was the volume limiter that the beaurocrats have imposed.  It's ridiculous - if you were on a train you wouldn't be able to get a decent level.

So, you overcome the vol limiter and circuitry involved in that output and take a "clean" line signal instead.

The Voyager btw...superb.  I use it every day with the ipod (the use of an elastic band keeps them together if you must know-no one sees it cos it's in my coat pocket).  The difference to just having the ipod alone is incredible.  You find yourself walking "smugly" - it's like when you see those white apple earphones that folks are still using.  You feel like stopping them in the street (I know, you'd probably get knifed) to say "Hey, listen to this instead!" and handing them your set-up.  They are awful - get some decent Sennheisers or Audio Technica and the difference is massive.

Get your Voyager sorted (it needs running in) then, when we have the dock lead ready, you can buy one and try it for 14 days.  If you don't like it (you will!) send it back and I'll refund you.  In fact, same goes for the Voyager if you get it from us.  Can't say fairer than that!

Welcome to the community btw!  Bit late to say that now I know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic