FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager: bad sound with Shure SRH840

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
nyberroithur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyberroithur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voyager: bad sound with Shure SRH840
    Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 9:32pm
Hello,

I have de Voyager that I use with an iPod classic and an iBasso dock line out and SE530.
I love how that sounds!

However with the Shure SRH840 it just does not work: as the volume through the line out is loud, i have to turn down the volume on the voyager. But then the sound has no power, no punch, no dynamic with contour off. With contour on, it's i,possible to listen: too much trebble, good bass, but then no medium as I have to turn down the voumen even further.

I've tested the SRH840 straight into the iPod, and they sound better than plugged into the Voyager!

Is there a impedance incompatibility here that affects sound dynamic with the Voyager?

I'm disapppointed by that, I was looking for headphones with a similar sound as the SE530 to go with the Voyager.

If someone has the SE530, which full size headphones would you recommend with the Voyager (for use when moving around at home)?

Thanks for the feedback.

nyberroithur

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 12:00am
Unfortunately, much as we try, we cannot be all things to all headphones.

Likewise I suppose, no matter how hard Shure try, they cannot be all things to all headphone amplifiers.

The big difference is there's thousands of Shure workers in a company worth BILLIONS, whereas at Graham Slee there are less than 5 people and only a brass farthing to share out.Wink

Such is life.

Would the panel of experts please step in to help our new member?

Welcome nyberroithur!

Edited by Graham Slee - 12 Oct 2009 at 7:08pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 12:53am
I have not heard the Shure SRH840, it has had a lot of positive review in Head Fi. nyberroithur are you using a line out dock when using the Voyager? Or are you amplifying the headphone out of the iPod?
Miguel
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 6:00am
Just a thought...

Are these brand new headphones?

If so, they will require some "burn-in" which means usage over a period of time.

All kinds of audio equipment improves after a period of continual usage.

You will get the odd commentator who will disagree with the above (but they're just plain ignorant of a subject called Physics)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyberroithur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 7:20am
Hello,
yes, it's mainly related to the good feedback on the Shure SRH840 (and my experience of the SE530) that I decided for the SRH840.

I am using the LOD to use the jargon ;-) (ibasso)

Thanks for the prompt feedback!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyberroithur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 7:23am
an yes they are brand new, but I don't expect phones to change THAT much when burnt in, or should I?

btw, the Voyager has been in use for approx 200hrs...and is quite new as well.
I have read about the burn in: will it make that much of a difference?
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 3:22pm
Burn-in is a heavily contested subject! I believe because I have compared various units (amps, headphones, cables, etc) out of the box w/ another of the same kind w/ several hundred hours of use. With very few exceptions the difference in sound is profound. So yes burn-in is real, and the gear will go through ups and downs while it fully settles. I would give it 100 hours follow by a check at the 200 hour mark. Cheers.
Miguel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic