FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Valves Seen On Graham Slee's Desk!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Making the assumption that the sound quality of a GS valve (pre)amp is up to the standard we all expect it to be, the visual design (exposed valves etc) needs to be carefully considered since it seems that folk like to see the glow rather than just know it's there. 

Both my pre and power amps have valves in them, but neither are exposed.
I would not buy an exposed valve audio product with a 7 month old daughter in the house.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 4:59pm
I would not buy any audio product that gets really hot, due to safety/fire concerns. Not the sort of thing I'd be happy to leave switched on all the time then leave unattended in the house when I go to work.

Majestic/Proprius oscillating warmth in a cool place is as hot as I'm happy to go. Anything hotter, in my personal opinion, is poorly designed electronics.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 5:08pm
You don't like "pure" class A then Ash?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 5:25pm
This will be an interesting exercise. There is no question that good (sounding) valve pre and power amplifiers exist; but I would be surprised if they do not all use the valves within their original design parameters, particularly the HT voltages required by the designer. The success of such amplifiers relies heavily on well designed power supplies and for power amplifiers also well designed and built transformers. As all of us here know, this almost inevitably means increased cost for components and certification (assuming they want to remain legal) and weighty transformers for power amps. There is also inevitably concern over the safety of devices using potentially lethal voltages.
It seems that in an attempt to dispense with these difficult and expensive aspects some "clever" designers have chosen to go with standard cheap low voltage "HT" power supplies, with varying degrees of success. 
If I understand correctly what Graham wants to investigate is the practicality of the design and performance of valves in unorthodox circuits using low "HT" voltages, where the valves are outside their design operating envelopes.
If successful then I can fully understand that this could open up a new market sector for GSP.
I'm keeping and open mind.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 5:34pm
I only like what sounds good, isn't a hazard and isn't physically supermassive.

I don't understand why anyone would think that electronics should sound best when operating hot and generating lots of heat. What's the rationale?? I'll never understand the world of hi-fi. I have always been very careful with whose judgment I decide to trust. Spend long enough researching a subject and reasoning with a logical mind and eventually it becomes clear who is a genuine expert in their field of research and who is simply pretending to be an expert, who only has the right answers because you're asking the wrong questions.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 5:35pm
Apart from cannibalising my Dads' old valve radiogram to make a rudimentary separates setup when I was a student, I have not had any popping, banging or glowing in my system since. I was quite fond of the smell though.

I recall being told that valves performance 'improves' and then gradually declines over time whereas solid state tends to have a much longer period of stability and 'lasts longer'. Is that so?

There's also the issue of tube rolling, another area of audiophile nervosa for us all to fret over whilst searching for the holy grail. 

In spite of all that, if Graham eventually puts his name to something, I'm sure it will be quite exceptional.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 5:47pm
I remember the smell too, Andrew! 

And the issue of tube rolling is akin to cartridge swapping. But I'd be tempted to stick with whatever valves a GSP unit came with. If they're good enough for Graham . . .  Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic