FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Unhappy UK Phono Stage Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 8:56pm
Wow, that’s dedication. 14 years and an upgrade in the same family. Sounds like a satisfied listener. I’m only a few months into my Goldring 1042 ownership and very much enjoying it. 

I’ve been experimenting with different VTFs and still am finding it best at 1.5, which is the low extreme of the manufacturer recommended range. So far I haven’t noticed any negative effect on bass or anything. What would “out of phase” sound like?
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 9:01pm
When I had the 1042, it worked best around 1.85g. 

I've since moved onto a different cart for my daily driver. 

One thing about the 1042, at least the one I had, is that it had a fairly stiff suspension (this matches with the factory specs). I don't think I would want to put it on a lightweight carbon fiber arm. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 10:22pm
You told me the same thing in Hoffman forum. I’m sure I could do better in matching but it works great so far. Only issue I have had is with tracking on a visibly warped record. I have been looking into how to increase effective mass of my tonearm. Looks like I could maybe add a weight but I’m having trouble finding one to buy. 
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Pushpaw Pushpaw wrote:

You told me the same thing in Hoffman forum. I’m sure I could do better in matching but it works great so far. Only issue I have had is with tracking on a visibly warped record. I have been looking into how to increase effective mass of my tonearm. Looks like I could maybe add a weight but I’m having trouble finding one to buy. 

You could try contacting the TT company and see if there is a heavier counterweight you can buy that fits on the arm. At the headshell end, you could increase mass by using a weight plate or heavier screws.

Something like this may work:

That would add 3 grams to the headshell end of the tonearm. 

RE: warps that can be tricky depending on the type of warp with a cart like the 1042 as it rides fairly low IME. Other carts I've used have a bit more clearance. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 12:58am
Thanks for the recommendations! I’m looking into your suggestions. 
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 2:25am
I tried a temporary fix to see what would happen. Added some play dough on top of headshell. Not sure how much in weight, but I maxed out how far back I can unscrew the counter weight on the tonearm. I immediately noticed more present bass, but the highs seemed a bit muffled. I think it was the play dough. I formed it into a flat shape and stuck if carefully on the screw heads only. It is not touching the headshell. Sounds much better now. I just have to weigh the play dough to see how much it weighs. And then find an appropriate headshell weight. Many of them seem magnetic. Is that an issue for MM cart? Manufacturer does indeed sell heavier counterweights, so I could probably boost weight even more. And this small fix cured the tracking problem on the warped record. 
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 4:10am
Thanks for the input on this. It really does sound better with the extra weight. 

An assortment of high mass mounting screw pairs. Can add up to 6 grams with these. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic