FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Unhappy UK Phono Stage Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 12:33pm
That’s quite an upgrade! How do you like Accession M? And what is your cart if you don’t mind my asking.
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
JLuecking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLuecking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 2:18pm
In fact I did not want to spend that amount of money and go for the Era Gold V or Reflex. But I read so many comments that the Reflex is only good as long as you have not heard the Accession. And I like the concept of the equalization and the idea of the attenuator for transferring vinyl to PC. After knowing the Accession it is not easy to listen to the Gram Amp 2 SE.

Thank you for your interest. I have the Transrotor/Goldring Uccello Reference (UC-R) now for a few weeks. I upgraded from a Goldring 1042. The Accession has two weeks of burning in. The combination is slightly on the bright side, I think this will settle down after further burn in. Besides that, everything sounds as it should sound, just right. Like the Solo, where I never felt the urge of having anything different.

Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 4:39pm
interesting, I am on a similar upgrade path as you. I entered the GS phono stage lineup with a Reflex M - an upgrade from a Schiit Mani, which the Reflex simply destroyed with its far superior sound quality among many other superior qualities. I also have a Goldring 1042. I will have to look up your new Goldring cart. I recently got an Enigma power supply which is the first step on my path to getting an Accession M. I found my Reflex and my solo ulde sounded bright at first too. That definitely went away over time. 
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 4:52pm
ok two questions for you. 1 I can’t find any reviews of that cart in English. Are you aware of any? All I find is German. 

2 what tracking force did you find worked for the 1042? I’ve been experimenting and at firs I had it around 1.85 after reading about how others set it up, but I recently noticed that if I set it around 1.5 the high frequency response is much richer. 
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 9:28pm
I found this, “ Had a Transrotor Uccello, which is a rebranded Goldring 1042 Reference”, which I think means it’s the same thing as a G1042.

Edited by ICL1P - 19 Sep 2020 at 9:31pm
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
JLuecking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLuecking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 7:30am
There is Transrotor Uccello and Transrotor Uccello Reference. There also was a Goldring 1042 Reference, which is like the Uccello Reference, both having a harmonic cut. This is not the 1042.

I did not find a real review or test, yet there are various mentions in forums. There is a discussion prefering the 1022 being more dynamic or the 1042 having more resolution and the Reference combining both virtues.

I had the Goldring 1042 for 14 years, bought a replacement stylus. Either they changed the specification or it was faulty, I was not satisfied. I contacted the dealer about it, but the answer from Goldring was that judging from my description the stylus was ok.

The old stylus hat a sound balance more like the reference, the new on had a lot missing in the lower department and something strange in the trebles, maybe a peak somewhere. And I needed a tracking force of 1.9 g instead of 1.75 g, which was best for the original and the reference stylus. Out of the three stylus, the reference had the best sound balance and lows and highs seem more extended and cleaner. Where the 1042 has an enhanced stage image which works fine with classical music or some jazz titles, it has strange effects with some 12'' records from the disco era (late 70s, early 80s). Here the Referece has a natural stage reproduction, which is compatible with all kind of styles.

We say, the brunette keeps what the blonde promises. Here the Reference does what the 1042 is supposed to do.

As I mentioned, the tracking force is 1.75 g. The sound should have just the right amount of sparkle. If it has too much at lower tracking forces, the VTA/SRA is not right and the sound gets out of phase.

BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 1:16pm
A search for "Transrotor Uccello Reference MM Cartridge" brings quite a few results, but primarily in Europe, there don't appear to be any UK distributors. There is also a Transrotor Uccello MM Cartridge.
I wonder if they're a similar remodelling of the Goldring as offered by AudioNote?

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic