FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Unhappy UK Phono Stage Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Brynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 8:50pm
What was wrong with the Tisbury Audio Domino exactly? It gets great reviews everywhere I've read , as I'm looking at it as a possibility at the moment, it's that or the Slee comm 2  ! 
And you can't really compare a £150 versus £430 Phono stage ! 

Edited by Brynn - 10 Mar 2020 at 8:52pm
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Brynn Brynn wrote:

What was wrong with the Tisbury Audio Domino exactly? It gets great reviews everywhere I've read , as I'm looking at it as a possibility at the moment, it's that or the Slee comm 2  ! 

Beware of online review hype, especially with "new" companies that use aggressive social media marketing and what I call stealth marketing. 

GS doesn't do that, hence the home audition program. OP tried a half measure and it didn't work out - people gave him options to try to help salvage the situation. Not sure what they ended up doing eventually. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Brynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Beware of online review hype, especially with "new" companies that use aggressive social media marketing and what I call stealth marketing. 

GS doesn't do that, hence the home audition program. OP tried a half measure and it didn't work out - people gave him options to try to help salvage the situation. Not sure what they ended up doing eventually. 

Thanks, yes I'm aware of that, but I've also read plenty of great feedback from users on various Adio/Audiophile groups, but the comparison is very unfair... I don't expect my car to perform like one that costs 3 x it's cost  ;-)
I presently have the old Gram Amp 2 and have had it for the last 15 years ! Looking to upgrade it now, though it still performs very well ! But on a very limited budget hence looking at the Tisbury Audio Domino ! And the Gram Amp 2 Communicator ! 
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 11:28pm

I presently have the old Gram Amp 2 and have had it for the last 15 years ! Looking to upgrade it now, though it still performs very well !

May I suggest you try a new Gram Amp 2 Communicator through the loaner program? Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ProPhono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProPhono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 11:08am
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

For me personally, the cartridge and the phono preamp are the heart of the vinyl playback system, so those merit spending a bit more on.

I tend to agree on this. I think those, as well as the speakers are the most important parts of the system.
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 3:07am
I couldn’t agree with this more. I still have a Technica integrated amp I bought for $50 about 8 years ago and a pair of speakers I bought for $200. My phono stage is the Reflex M (with Enigma power supply) and my cart is goldring 1042. So I’ve spent significantly more on phono stage and cart and don’t regret it one bit. The upgrades come through on my modest system. And they really shine on my headphone set up which includes solo ULDE and Sennheiser HD6XX. The HD6XX seem to have endless capacity to improve as the rest of the system does. 
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
JLuecking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLuecking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 9:38am
I just upgraded from the Gram Amp 2 SE to an Accession M. I used it for a long time with the original power unit, then upgraded to a PSU1. Luckily I could reuse the PSU1 with the Accession, so I consider to sell the Gram Amp 2 SE with the original PU. I need to admit, that I was happy with it, but each upgrade was also a huge step up in sound quality. And my GA2SE caught some AM radio occasionally. But I did not really bother to fix this issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic