FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

Ultra Linear to ULDE upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultra Linear to ULDE upgrade?
    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 6:57pm
Has anybody gone this route, and if so what are your thoughts on going to the ULDE?

I will be using HD540 Reference II, HD650 and HiFiMan Sundaras.
Kevin

European loan coordinator
capetownwatches View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 4:53am
As an Ultra Linear owner myself I too am curious about a DE upgrade.

Since I use exclusively higher impedance over ear headphones, lower noise isn't an issue for me.
I also find the UL has more than sufficient power to drive all my headphones optimally.

I'm not convinced that the DE will be a significant upgrade in pure sound quality terms, and if it is, can my old ears actually hear it..? Wink

In fact, I may have gotten a hint from Graham that the older UL might be better in some areas...but I can't say for sure...LOL

A pity that the loaner program doesn't extend this far south. Cry
Solo Ultra Linear=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=Benchmark DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD600=SR207=DT990 600Ω=K612Pro A=K240S=K171Mkll=M4U2=Y50
RCF Ayra 5=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 7:09am
I have the EU Loaner with me, being the EU loan coordinator.
I thought I would burn it in, so when someone wants to borrow it, they hear the real sound straight away. I will switch back to my UL in a few weeks and see what I think.
Kevin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 8:45am
According to what I've read on this forum and elsewhere, the ULDE can take up to 500 hours to burn in properly from brand new - that's 3 weeks powered up continuously. 

My own experience was interesting in that my unit had not been used for at least 4 months prior to my getting it, and it took about a week before it settled down to what I hear now. There were without doubt some significant changes in bass quantity, space around instruments and vocals,  sound stage and treble smoothness.

Now then, it's only a distance of about 13 000 km between Toulouse and Cape Town...DHL can find me easily... Wink
Solo Ultra Linear=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=Little Dot Mkll=SRM252S=Benchmark DAC1 USB=RL Concero
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 9:36am
Get Cape Town within the EU, and then we can talk. Wink
Kevin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 10:15am
That might be a step too far, and since the company itself won't be for much longer...Confused

I'll take it under advisement.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 10:43am
The main reason for thinking about this is my HiFiman Sundara headphones.
At 37 ohms, they are not exactly high impedance, so the ULDE May suit them better.
The big questions is am I willing to spend the money for less “hiss” in between tracks.

Time will tell. I will switch back to my UL soon, and see what I think.
Kevin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic