FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

ULDE Volume Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ULDE Volume Question
    Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 12:51am
Got a second hand ULDE, sounds very good.

My question is about the volume.

I'm using 300 ohm Sennhesier HD600 Headphones. These are the latest ones (2019).

Comfortable listening volume on ULDE is at 9 o'clock, I get plenty enough sound at this level. 

But I this find odd. I thought ULDE with high impedance headphones, you had to adjust volume after 12 o'clock? 

My ULDE is connected straight to a Marantz PM6006 (UK Edition) CD Player.

Thanks.

S.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 4:15am
Yes, that's for a range of sources that comply with IEC 61938, but at 2.2 volts rms, your CD player outputs about four times that, so you would turn the volume down, as you have.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 2:54pm
The Solo dial position will depend on the signal level going into its input as well as the impedance/sensitivity of the output load.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 5:22pm
Alrighty! Thanks chaps.

S.
Adytiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adytiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 7:55pm
Trialling the ULDE at the moment through the loan programme ( currently listening to Peter Gabriel Sledgehammer as I type!) with Beyerdynamic DT 880 edition ‘phones, 600 ohm. Volume control set at between 9 and 11 o’clock seems to work for vinyl and cd inputs.
Nunnother View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nunnother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 4:29pm
I have 600 ohm DT 880 Edition and 400 ohm DT 100 headphones.  Through my Marantz ND8006 (mostly FLAC files over CD) the volume required for both headphones ranges between 9 and 12 o'clock, depending on the recording.  I don't generally listen to vinyl on headphones, not sure why?
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Nunnother Nunnother wrote:

I don't generally listen to vinyl on headphones, not sure why?

Interesting that, I do the same but I know why, most of the time I listen at night or evenings with headphones on (the danger of falling to sleep). The only other time I put headphones on is when I'm trying hard to listen to music and don't wont to be distracted, By the way I have HD600s 2019 and the volume between 9 & 12 on my Solo.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic