FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Trouble with Goldring 1042

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by BAK BAK wrote:

Adding a small weight on top of the cartridge mount and re-adjusting the VTF to the middle of the cart's specified range (1.75gm for the 1042) may help by lowering the harmonic frequency of the tonearm/cart/stylus where it tracks the groove.

The cart is sidelined currently. I tried it the other day and could barely make it through two albums before taking it off and putting my Stanton 680/Jico Shibata combo back on the turntable. 

That is interesting about adding the weight. Since I got the 1042, I mounted it on a magnesium headshell that weighs about 10g. I don't have an extra weight plate on it. I did use a test record to check the resonant frequency, which is between 9hz-10hz. In terms of the VTF, I never had good results tracking this cartridge at 1.75g. It worked better, in terms of tracking and lowering sibilance, at 1.85g to 2g. Goldring's tech support recommends tracking closer to 2g which is the max spec'd VTF. Even at 2g, the cartridge isn't that good at dealing with hotly cut records, vocal sibilance, narrow inner grooves, etc. That is why I'm so disappointed in this cartridge. 

Now, I might have a headshell weight plate somewhere and could add it to the magnesium headshell, or mount the cartridge on a slightly lighter 8-9g aluminum headshell, with or without the weight. I asked Goldring about the slightly lighter headshell and they said it should make no difference. 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 10:26am
I've had a Golding 10xx for 20+ years and it has been on various turntables with various styli from the 1000 range. Recently I have had it on an SME series IV and an Origin Live Zephyr arm and I don't recall any IGD on a variety of records. FWIW I use it 'taildown' and 1.8g.

Picking up on Graham's point about the self-inductance the loading was the thing I focussed on with the 1022 and the 2500 I had at one point. I found they sounded better with less capacitance in the preamp, on my AccMM I have 0pF which makes it just the 120pF arm lead. With 220pF in previous preamps I heard a treble boost that made cymbals to crisp and voices could lisp, probably it was exacerbating what was on the record and/or generated by the cartridge/arm setup.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 12:59pm
I've used the 1042 for many years on several turntables & the Gyger2 is one of the best tracking styli I own. I have it mounted on an original Goldring, a Roksan Corus & Audio Note IQ3 bodies. Fitted to the IQ3, it sounds similar to the very expensive Audio Note stylus and is something I use a lot.

On an Audiomods arm I use Baerwald alignment & with Technics, their own alignment gauge. Both sound excellent and in my experience it's quite forgiving and easy to setup.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I've had a Golding 10xx for 20+ years and it has been on various turntables with various styli from the 1000 range. Recently I have had it on an SME series IV and an Origin Live Zephyr arm and I don't recall any IGD on a variety of records. FWIW I use it 'taildown' and 1.8g.

Picking up on Graham's point about the self-inductance the loading was the thing I focussed on with the 1022 and the 2500 I had at one point. I found they sounded better with less capacitance in the preamp, on my AccMM I have 0pF which makes it just the 120pF arm lead. With 220pF in previous preamps I heard a treble boost that made cymbals to crisp and voices could lisp, probably it was exacerbating what was on the record and/or generated by the cartridge/arm setup.

Were any of those records hotly cut with narrow deadwax? 

Re: capacitance, I would guess 220pf would be too much. Both the phono pres I have only have 100pf. I'm going to try a GS model soon - I think only has 100pf as well and AFAIK might do a much better job at handling the high output of the 1042. 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

I've used the 1042 for many years on several turntables & the Gyger2 is one of the best tracking styli I own. I have it mounted on an original Goldring, a Roksan Corus & Audio Note IQ3 bodies. Fitted to the IQ3, it sounds similar to the very expensive Audio Note stylus and is something I use a lot.

On an Audiomods arm I use Baerwald alignment & with Technics, their own alignment gauge. Both sound excellent and in my experience it's quite forgiving and easy to setup.

Is your 1042 an older model? Mine has the Gyger S rather than a Gyger II. 

Re: alignment, on my JVC I use their own alignment which is based on Stevenson. 

No experience with the Roksan or AN variations of the Goldring 1000 series bodies. 
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Is your 1042 an older model? Mine has the Gyger S rather than a Gyger II. 
You are correct of course, my mistake. As I haven't been at home for a couple of months I mixed up the diamond type (I use both the 1042 Gyger S & sometimes a 1012 Gyger II stylus for background listening - identical to the original Roksan Corus stylus)

Edited by Drewan77 - 30 Nov 2018 at 3:04pm
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 8:03pm
Hi David, it was a quick reply this morning and I'm recalling a selection of LP's I played a couple of weeks ago. Some were long but I'm not certain how close to the lable the recording came. If you give me an example of two of the problem LP's I'll see if I have them or something similar to try with my 1042 to see if I can hear the IGD you describe.

100pF plus cable is fine I agree. I think the extra capacitative loading would just highlight the physical problem.

These days I just use Baerwald (Lofgren A) for the IEC inner groove of 60.325mm. I do have records that are cut closer to the label than that, around 58mm as I measured it on an old classical LP and similar on a KTEL compilation (the surface crackle was a much bigger issue). Even at 58mm the predicted distortion is only about 1% which was audible but not awful, and that assumes my alignment was geometrically spot on. The distortion would be higher for hot cuts and/or loud peaks as distortion is proportionate to velocity and tracking could suffer too in the tighter radius of the inner grooves.

A suggestion only. Is it worth experimenting with a different alignment where the inner null is 63 or 64mm (like UNI-DIN: 64/112 worked well for me in the past), maybe that could help?

BTW mine is a newish 1042 stylus and says it's a Gyger S.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic