FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tone Controls Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Poll Question: Who'd Want Tone Controls On A Preamp?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
38 [56.72%]
29 [43.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Howlindawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howlindawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 10:36am
My current Amp (Luxman SQ38-u) has tone controls and to be honest I'd think long and hard about replacing it with an amp that didn't have them.

I do a lot of listening late at night or early morning when the rest of the household are asleep so that means lower volume than normal. In these circumstances I find the tone controls beneficial to restore a little bounce to the music with the volume pot turned down.

Used judiciously to season to taste I find them invaluable.
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 11:22am
My current amplifier has defeatable tone controls that I have never used. But that is not to say that I never would.

For this reason, and be ause I believe some people would like them I have voted yes.

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
Mr Tubson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Tubson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 4:24am
Yes here.

When the time comes to get a new amp I will be purchasing one that has tone controls.

With my current amp, which is sans tone controls I miss the abilty to tweak things to account for poor recordings and low level listening.

Mr T

Edited by Mr Tubson - 14 Jan 2013 at 4:25am
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 9:47pm
Not seen this post before a sure fire no from me.   Would rather have the system properly balanced by components, cables, support and room placement -using this method rare that balance becomes an issue if it is from my experience the components and bolt ones are the issue.
Had three turnover points on bass and treble controls to alter frequency changes on former amp and didn't use them in years.

Richard
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 9:39pm
Having purchased an old Pioneer receiver made in 1967 I do appreciate the tone controls if only to cater for my slight hearing defect.... the bass and treble controls are individually tweakable on each channel... this means I can slightly turn up the treble on the left to cater for a touch of high frequency loss. It won't replace my main amp but I would appreciate it if that did have the same option. Our ears are the final part of the chain after all.
Aren't ears brilliant
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 10:18pm
This was a question about Tone Controls asked 3 years ago... to be possibly included in the "Aria".
The "Aria" preamp was being only thought of at that time.
Note: The Majestic DAC/ PreAmp was designed and put into production shortly after the thought of the "Aria".

Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic