FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tone Controls: A topic about tone controls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 8:20am
I suppose if Thor placed sufficient felt pads (and I mean thousands) all over his room in groups making different heights he would eventually end up with an anechoic chamber, so I must conclude that such tweaks do work... in very liberal quantities Wacko
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 9:47am

Aren't you supposed to be building some sort of bomb shelter for your new hi-fi rack or designing an equivalent performance alternative to the lightspeed attenuator for the new preamp or something ?

The rest of us can do the silly tweaking and chattering stuff to keep ourselves amused while we wait. Wink

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 11:07am
I know you are only joking tg so I shall risk being cheeky to you as a moderator by saying our generous host deserves some downtime!

My experience with acoustic treatments suggests tens of thousands of felt pads would be needed to absorb anything below high frequencies. I thought of the egg box treatments and carpet on walls/absorber panels in some studios.

I did smile at the thought of plastic piping hanging from the walls. Tuned resonators without damping would be like having drone pipes or strings (like those on the guitars I have) storing and releasing energy in the listening room. What notes, or indeed key, would be best for different types of music?

Listening to speakers is like recording an acoustic instrument. You are listening to the room as much as the source. Real rooms and recordings can sometimes benefit from a little EQ in my opinion.

Has anyone tried fitting isolating spikes to their listening chair and footwear to control the structure borne LF energy? If so what was the best material? For those about to mock...

However it was the playful spirit of the article and open minded approach I respected.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 11:21am

You are dead right there - Graham does indeed deserve a little respite.

However poorly it may have been executed, my intent was to provide some of that by means of a little levity as you have correctly observed.

Only time I have tried spikes on my shoes was when playing golf, I found them extremely beneficial in that application Wink

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 4:27pm
tg, you were thinking the same thing I was about the spiked shoes LOL I risk going Krabby Patty by saying I also play golf.

Back on the tone/tweaking theme, my avatar is a photo of a tweaked ribbon microphone. So I think it isn't just h-ifi!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 12:22am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Aren't you supposed to be building some sort of bomb shelter for your new hi-fi rack or designing an equivalent performance alternative to the lightspeed attenuator for the new preamp or something ?

The rest of us can do the silly tweaking and chattering stuff to keep ourselves amused while we wait. Wink

Picture of crater being filled by Robert (Bob the builder...) and Phillip

And Robert in his day job...

Can they fix it? I bl**dy hope so... Wink

Edited by Graham Slee - 17 Sep 2010 at 12:24am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 1:32am
Actually I'm just making appearances here at odd times of day as I wind down from one chore before I begin another or fall asleep...

At the same time as Bob and Co are building the "silo" for my hi-fi rack Stern%20Smile... Wink, I am having to consider the most effective soundproofing not only for the "bomb shelter" but for the adjoining fence, and doing the rounds of the soundproofing websites I stumbled upon a device widely used in studios called a "bass trap". The corners give the most concentrated bass of the studio/room and absorbent material or a more elaborate solution is used to counter it. I wonder if that could be the reasoning behind gluing felt pads close to the corners? Mind you, I wouldn't have thought three felt pads sufficient - perhaps it's a joke?Big%20smile

Edited by Graham Slee - 17 Sep 2010 at 1:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic