FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tone Controls: A topic about tone controls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 10:18pm
Working on it, but half our works is a big hole in the ground right now and could take until late October for me to be able to move back in.

(don't worry, the big hole in the ground was planned...)Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 2:55am

@ fmg - given the distinction you draw, I would see tinkering as both a perfectly valid occupation in and of itself but also as the research stage of tweaking from which the appropriate tweak may be drawn and applied as appropriate.

My feeling is that many of the cues that allow us to experience the content of the music rather than just the sound of the music, are very nearly subliminal and their reproduction very dependent on the phase coherence on which our esteemed host places such importance.

As an aside, I have recently come across some interesting reading on particular tweaks and tweaking in general from Thorsten Loesch, whose opinions are always worth consideration (IMO), @ http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0602/freakazoid.htm  

@ Graham - excuses, excuses, get on wi' it man.  Wink

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 8:20pm

Agreed! We learn in playing and sometimes "I wonder if that would work here" can open up a new line of development.

That's a very good article and in sync with my thinking. Thanks tg.

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
jonclancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonclancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 8:29pm
I think Thor has been at the Lac!!! Wink

Only joking, T, if you read this!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 8:55pm

I would stop short of many of the tweaks in the article but the spirit of experimentation comes through clearly. Another thread topic would be tweaks that didn't last very long, it's down to the Lac I fear!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 12:52am

fmg - you have got the point of my referring that article - the general spirit of open minded experiment and the overall underlying philosophy.  All too commonly people seem to read such articles, find the one thing with which they disagree and proceed to "throw the baby out with the bath water" and dismiss everything they have read.  There are usually more colours than black in a packet of jelly beans and you don't have to eat the black ones if you don't like them.  

I/we digress - perhaps as you say, another topic.

Edited by tg - 16 Sep 2010 at 12:53am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 6:24am

Yes indeed tg!

I have now looked at the response curves on this thread several times and am amazed at the extended range and smooth slopes, especially the smooth drop off Graham has achieved. This could well be the transparent hi-fi EQ I mentioned above, an EQ that can boost or cut a few dB without bringing some sort of distortion.

From the GSP gear I have and the information from fellow owners, I know the design principles are right and will be expertly executed with layout and selected components. This EQ module will be very good indeed and presumably is at the centre of the forthcoming Aria preamp. That is an audiophile treat to look forward to.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 16 Sep 2010 at 6:27am
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic