FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The end of the road for Stereo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 6:19pm
I consider myself a music lover and will put up with most thing to hear it but there is a point where it becomes just a noise, you know when someone next to you turns up the volume on their phone so everyone can hear it. I like TO hear music in the car, pub, at work, walking & on my push bike. Stereo is stereo and you need two speakers or headphones to hear it properly. There is nothing wrong with background music it's just that for some they are never going to hear it at it's best or how the person or persons wont you to hear it.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

I find what I look for in a two channel system hard to explain, but I'll have a try.

I will call it landscape for the want of a better word. An orchestra goes left to right as well as front to back, and sometimes its stage is ramped. The A and B channels should only be able to do left, right and middle, but in analogue, phase is unescapable. An artist painting a landscape might, through technique, be able to give an impression of 3D on a flat canvas. Phase is able to project an illusion that has distance, height and width, to give a musical landscape, or as some have said, the atmosphere of the hall or the ambience of the venue.

These are the the things I want to hear and have been the things I've concentrated on, starting as a hobbyist, building and researching my own audio electronics (I suppose working in electronics at the same time helped), and then making my own career out of it this last 20 or so years.

I found in trying to get my message across, I was fighting against alternatives. I never wanted a fight, but long ago it seems that PRAT was eroding the interest in the stereo illusion, it being replaced by muscle, a sort of sound gymnasium. I fail to understand why. Was it because the very things which lead to recreating the stereo illusion were not understood? "OK marketing department, we can't do the trick but we can do the muscle. Come up with some clever advertising."

Skip to the present, and the Galaxy now has stereo speakers, with a 3D effect. Does it project these audible images I spent a good half of my life chasing? I'm going to answer that with a great big NO. And you'll not convince me otherwise.

If nobody gets the point, then it collapses back to me being that hobbyist, having worked for what?

Yes, thank you, the recreation of a musical landscape, the illusion of hearing into the space the music was made - depth especially.  It makes listening involving, compelling & much else.
Some denied it was necessary or even existed, but without the 3D illusion listening to recorded music is often uninvolving.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 8:37am
I totally agree with that.
I think the problem is that many people have not heard this, so they do not know it exists, so they don't miss it.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 10:20am
There's nothing wrong with casual listening when you're out and about (as long as it doesn't offend others), and often I'll have some music playing while getting on with things (usually to run-in a job I'm working on). While getting my mind around this post I was listening to Terminal Frost form Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason, with my back to the speakers, and even though it's a studio album, I was able to recognise the efforts of the band to get its music across using the stereo medium. I thought perhaps that's it - my part in my generation - that it was just a one-off in human history never to be repeated. And in a way, it started to make me feel better. Kids that just got together in their many separate ways and grew with it - grew with stereo and its wonderful imagery - that others simply don't comprehend. We took the equipment of the old fogeys of our generation and played at making it better. The monied got involved but they didn't comprehend either, but nevertheless, hijacked it and milked it for all it was worth. Yes, it must have been the psychedelic generation, its form of escape into its version of utopia, and some few of us stayed while others drifted away, until we became a minority, and the answer really is 63. Tongue

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 10:48am
I also think that the EDM that a lot of the "youf" listen to now has a lot to do with it. I can't remember the last time I took an interest in the UK top 40.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 5:07pm
Not the subject of the original posting but can anyone give a simple explanation of how the 'phasing' that Graham mentions to describe how analogue can give the illusion of depth & height to stereo recordings? I can hear the positioning of musicians in live recordings, particularly where ambient mikes are used (e.g. Buena Vista Social Club).  I appreciate such recordings can pick up the separation side and back in terms of distance the sound has to travel to the point of recording. But how is this captured on the recording?
This gets me wondering, does digital recording provide the same mechanism? I know that when I listen to a streaming version of a track on which I hear f to b positioning on vinyl, it seems to be missing. Is this poorer source/ repro of my digital stream compared to vinyl or is it lost in the digital bitstream?
I may be overthinking it but a simple explanation would help.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 6:20pm
One of the "positives" of DSP, I was told (and it might or might not be true), that frequencies can be manipulated without messing about with phase. The experts tend not to write much about it, but you can have steep digital filters, whereas in analogue, such steepness can cause instabilities due to phase displacement. I can only go on such findings, so I will hazard a guess that it is true.

If a recording is produced on a purely analogue desk, it must retain the phase differences introduced by frequency manipulation. If that is digitised straight, the signal phase must be retained. I can only see it being any different if the recording has been digitally remastered. Digital filters in DACs operate high up in frequency if oversampling is used alongside them, and so should not affect audio frequencies.

By using oversampling and a high frequency digital filter, then the analogue filter can cut at a higher frequency, because the sampling frequency has been shoved to n times the original. As such, the phase isn't meddled with by the DAC. Or should I say, that's how I do it.

I have noticed that some digital recordings retain the phase of the original, such as Water's Amused to Death, otherwise Raz would not appear to be talking through a radio set placed hard left of the listener's head - until you try and focus on it, when it collapses back into the LH speaker. Although digital positioning might have been used in Q-Sound, it would also need to include phase or such effects could not occur.

An earlier version of this effect is obvious on The Moody Blues' To Our Children's Children, where hard analogue panning includes phase.

Also, I have always maintained that -3dB should coincide with 45 degrees because in my opinion, it is a natural phenomenon, and has, so far, made our products sound more true to life, when accompanied with synergistic products.

That's about all I know without it becoming a long tiring essay.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic