FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Accession and old records - a TNT Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Accession and old records - a TNT Review
    Posted: 05 May 2018 at 9:50am
I think the reviewer likes it Big smile
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/gsp_accession2_e.html

Edited by Chris Firth - 05 May 2018 at 9:50am
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 1:38pm
I've just deleted a post a made to the same link, Chris! It gives a great idea of how useful the Accession is to those who play 78s or old LPs. 

Kudos to Graham for providing the CA "flat" option that I now understand why is so useful!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:04pm
So, Graham - when can we expect a Jazz-cession? Wink

Listening to the audio clips, the effect of playing acoustic 78s "flat" reduces surface noise remarkably! Who knew? (Well, apart from Graham . . .)
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:20am
Well, that proves it!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 8:36am
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

So, Graham - when can we expect a Jazz-cession? Wink

A great way of achieving that is to do what all the electric phonographs did...

...fit tone controls!

And with the cartridge frequency response being "flat", adjust to taste!

As Mr Hoehl's article made clear, there was quite a bit of fudging going on to make things sound "real".

So when moving from acoustic to electric disc production there still will have.

OK, my comment above: "Well, that proves it!"

What does it prove? It proves the following is a great big porky...

"Records are made with the treble range boosted to mask surface noise, and the bass range reduced in volume to conserve groove space and reduce distortion" (High Fidelity Magazine: Sept. 1955)

Really!?

So play any of these records using a flat output ceramic cartridge. Is the treble boosted? Is the bass reduced?

Answer: No.

We've all been believing it for 63 years, in so much as when I was a lad, I was told that both ceramic and crystal cartridges had RIAA correction built-in...

What a load of codswallop!

You know, when I came out with a load of technical sh*t aged 9 (on another subject), and then had it pointed out to me by another classmate that I was wrong, the rest of the class laughed out loud.

So I am very careful what I claim.

Such a shame then that the high fidelity industry has believed this untruth and based its products on it for 63 years!

Let's take a look into Rochelle salt (potassium sodium tartrate), or even lead-zirconium titanate, (the piezo electric material of crystal and ceramic cartridges) and try and find the RIAA EQ God must have put into them at the creation...

Sorry, there isn't any!

The whole world should be laughing out loud at the hi-fi industry!

If they weren't so far gone...

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 10:06am
I think we need to set matters right.

Firstly we have the response of the cutter head...

Then we have the response of the magnetic cartridge...

As you can see, one cancels out the other and the result is a flat response.

This is how it all started, but it didn't last long, because the the treble was cut at such low amplitude, and the cartridge reproduced it at such an "amplified" level, that even though the response was flat, all you heard was shellac noise.

So, yes, in a way the treble was boosted relative to the original cutter response, as can be seen by the modified cutter response...

But there is no way in that it can be seen that treble is boosted, and bass is cut. Compared to flat, the treble end is shelved down by 12dB - not boosted - and the low bass is actually left to "rise" as it was in the first image.

Play that using a flat output cartridge (if one existed) and it won't be far from being tonally balanced.

Play it using a crystal or ceramic cartridge (nearest to a flat output), which has a very slightly rising response, and it sounds quite reasonable.

Plat it using a magnetic cartridge into a flat stage and you get this...

And you hear all top and no bottom.

So it needs to be equalised, by applying the inverse of that curve...

But if playing an acoustic record which is...

You get...

But if you EQ the cartridge by applying this...

You get...

So what High Fidelity magazine wrote is only true when looking "through the eyes" of a magnetic cartridge. And as for the reason they gave for the bass, well that looks like it had to be made up to fit the reasoning.

Gary Galos Disc Recording Equalization Demystified substantiates the above.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic