FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Some mysteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 8:47am
Why? My acquisition of the Linn cable must have been nearly 20 yrs ago, I'm hardly feeling a sense of grievance after all this time, merely observing that I'm no more immune to psychological influences than anyone else.

I've got some Linn speaker cable as well. Interesting stuff. It's very thick (fatter than QED79 strand for example) and signal and returns are separated by half an inch of webbing.  Makes it very thick and unwieldy stuff for domestic use.  It has marks on it to indicate that it conducts better in one direction than another. I don't use it any more because I'd rather connect my speakers with wire than a rectifier...

Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Perhaps if you had just stated this in the first place your vehemence might have been more easily understood.

Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 8:54am
I'm more than happy to agree that these psychological effects matter. I'm also happy that in the end the musical experience is what matters and even if a placebo effect is involved - well if it works for you, one can consider it part of the system!

My problem is with attempts to generalise personal experiences to others. Fortunately, most manufacturers need reliable, repeatable results and concentrate on the factors they can guarantee will work with everyone.

By the way, what are people's thoughts on the ethics of vendors who sell nicely shaped pieces of wood to hang on the wall for very large sums of money that supposedly dramatically improve speakers by some currently not understood mystical process? More research needed IMO...

Originally posted by elektrikgypsy elektrikgypsy wrote:

And with all that outside interference, presumably the time of day one listens to one's hifi will affect the output. And of course, what time you ate, and how much (hearing being the only sense affected by hunger or satiation). And... well, all the other factors and variables.

But there comes a moment when we stop measuring signal, and start listening to music. It *is* subjective. It affects mood, expectations et al and are affected by them. There may never be a good hardcore scientific reason for the change I heard. Or there might be one now. Or in twenty years time. But i'll be listening to better sounding CDs while others are toiling to find those reasons. Bless you.

Incidentally, to add a little more perspective (subjective as always), we replaced the power cables on the CD player, phono stage, power amp and sub. If i remember rightly, I could hear a difference on the power amp, slightly more on the phono stage and thought i could barely discern a difference on the sub, but not enough that I'd want to put my hand on my heart and swear it wasn't placebo. The reason I mentioned the CD player in the first place, is that along with the sub it was the component I least expected to hear a difference on, and the scale of difference compared to the other components was notable.

Hence my earlier comment that it might not make a difference. But then so much of this is trial and error. What works for one system may make no difference to another. Personally, I believe that science advances through hunches, inspiration and sheer dumb refusal to believe what everyone else tells them is hard fact. Then if something seems to work, the hard work begins of finding out why, and challenging existing theory to that end. Mankind seems to need to be secure and unassailable in its various rationales, but it's in the bits that don't quite fit that the exciting stuff happens.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic