FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo ULDE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

That's bizarre Bob. At the Aylesbury Roadshow, I briefly listened to your LCD2, HD650 and D7000 headphones (alongside a HD540II and HD800 for reference). Out of your three, I thought the D7000 sounded the best. A bit of bass elevation but really clear and well balanced sound with an overall faithful tonality. Well built too, closed-back and I could enjoy using them. The LCD2 and HD650 both had an altered tonality and congested frequency reproduction in direct comparison with D7000 and my 540II. My 540II was bass-light compared to D7000. Well controlled low bass but lacking nonetheless. Can't believe your D7000 is gathering dust against your others, wow.
LOL

For me the D7000 is too "hifi" - clear, yes, but exaggerated bass and treble. The HD650s are "softer", and easier to listen to, and the LCD-2s just plain natural with good bass extension. This must be why all the LCD series get such good reviews - with better clarity as you go up the range . . .Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 12:21pm
Totally agree with you Bob...my little used LCD 3's may well be up for sale in the not too distant if you are interested
Derek
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Suggs Suggs wrote:

Totally agree with you Bob...my little used LCD 3's may well be up for sale in the not too distant if you are interested
Oooh! That's a very tempting suggestion, Derek! Please PM me if you decide to move these on . . Wink

Have you got better 'phones or are you listening on speakers more?
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:43pm
Speaking about headphone preferences, I have found that my 'cheap' little Grado SR325e sound quite well-behaved - quite wonderful with some kinds of music, actually - combined with the Solo ULDE. Makes me like it again a lot more, where first I had issues with its inclination towards trebble harshness (to my ears).

Edited by Fuzzy - 08 Dec 2016 at 10:45pm
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 6:48am
Yes, I always prefer to listen on speakers and am finding it increasingly hard to justify the LCD's just sitting there on a stand doing nothing! Good though they are

Thanks, I'll PM you before going down the ebay route if I finally do get off the fence Confused

Derek
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Fuzzy Fuzzy wrote:

Speaking about headphone preferences, I have found that my 'cheap' little Grado SR325e sound quite well-behaved - quite wonderful with some kinds of music, actually - combined with the Solo ULDE. Makes me like it again a lot more, where first I had issues with its inclination towards trebble harshness (to my ears).

"...where first I had issues with its inclination towards trebble harshness (to my ears)."

I've always been cautious about saying anything untoward about the sound of "worshipful" headphones, because there are places on the 'net that will troll you for it...

...but, having found this with some headphones even after considerable "burn-in" had caused me to explore ways in which such harshness could be controlled.

I had an idea that the driving impedance could have some influence, but "the forums" could only hark on about the impedance having to be zero (zero is impossible so perhaps they meant virtually zero?)

However, some headphones simply don't sound good with zero driving (source) impedance. Some are made to DIN standard (have a guess...) and the driving impedance is stated as 120 Ohms in the standards.

Quite a few won't behave using 120 Ohms. And so as a designer trying to cover all bases life gets difficult/interesting.

You start asking questions like "I wonder if they designed their headphones with one particular headphone amplifier?" and "what amp was it?"

And more recently this chap answered in a roundabout way my questions when talking about speaker box design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eD0VUb5BFo (thanks for the pointer Stefan)

The behaviour of speakers is dependent to a degree on driving impedance also known as damping factor, and not all speakers are designed for high damping factors and yet some are. Some are designed to do well with valve amps which have little damping and some are designed to do well with DC coupled solid state amps with tons of damping.

I guess it depends on the speaker designer's amp of choice.

And so it might well be the same with headphones???

Grado sold headphone amps too. It doesn't take a massive stretch of the imagination to conclude their headphones could have been developed with one of them.

That headphone amp has driving impedance, it is not zero, but looks that way to the forum type commentator because he cannot see a resistor. Its opamp contains one however, plus it also contains intrinsic resistance.

The ULDE took into consideration this resistance (impedance in AC terms), which also tended to bode well with quite a few other popular headphones. However, that isn't all the story, but it seems to have tamed the (dare I say) problem.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 7:42pm
I recall back in the 70s the big IMFs particularly the early ones were said to need amps with very high damping factors: American Crown amps were advised as a great match to provide proper bass control.

Never thought headphones would be present particularly taxing issues for amps but clearly that is not the case.

Assuming damping factor is a standard measure (which it may not be) what sort of damping factor does the Proprius have?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic