FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo ULDE - my thoughts & headphone pairing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 8:04pm
Arie
I have HD600 2019s but I did think of the HD650 but at the time they were a bit out of my price range as I had just put a order in for the Solo with PSU1. I then signed up for the Sennheiser news letter on line and found out by doing so I could have got a discount which would have put them with in my budget (I always seem to miss out on discounts) GETTING to my point do you know if there is a big difference between the two? I have heard that the 600s had better mid range but the 650s had more bass. the reason for asking is that I could do with a touch more bass for when I am listening to UB40 (Reggae) but I don't want to forsake the mid range in doing so.  

Jonathan   
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
capetownwatches View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:01pm
Hi Jonathan,
I've previously owned 2 pairs of HD600 but not the Solo SRG, which I assume you have? Based on experience with my UL there is a distinct difference between the twins and it does boil down to the 650 being the "warmer" (more mid bass, slight treble roll off) of the two. Mids are still sublime, vocals even better than 600 IMHO. It does take a very good amp to extract what the two have to offer, so no problem there! I would say the 650 would suit genres like Rock and Reggae better than the 600, which is the more neutral can. Try and snaffle a pair to listen to for a day or two - shouldn't take that long though.

PS Consider the HD6XX from Drop.

PPS I'm now seriously considering another HD600...Big smile

Edited by capetownwatches - 22 Jan 2021 at 9:07pm
Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:38pm
If you wish to buy a HD650, don't spend out for a brand new one. Better yet, choose a HD600. Even better yet, see if you can find a HD560 Ovation II.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 12:28pm
Thanks for your reply- capetownwatcher and Ash
I have the HD600 the V 2019s and are happy with them but like I said could do with a touch more bass. I am also considering something from the Grado range they seem to go down well with GS headphone amp users, But it's interesting that both of you like HD600, the reason I got them was that the old HD600s had a good reputation and I thought that the 2019s would be some what better and I'm not disappointed with them I do like the over all sound quality and IMO they are well made.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 12:45pm
I seriously think you'd get the touch more bass you seem to be yearning for using the ULDE and you can borrow one to find out. If that were to work, you could upgrade the DIY route, which isn't as costly as starting over.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 1:57pm
Thanks Graham for your input.
Ether way I have to start saving and stop buying new music, I have several vinyl records on order. The lockdowns have been good for my record collection but not my bank account and I do miss going to record shops, I tend to spend less when handing over my card (online is dangerous one click and you have spent ££££) So the next few mouths or so I have to be hard on myself and stop going to online record shops
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 6:12pm
The loaner program was designed to take away the "what ifs" which can drive some to wasting money.

Isn't it better to know the answer and then look forward to the day, than falling prey to false promises on a whim?

The loaner program is not a trap. Currently we have more work than we can handle, so we're not out for a quick sale.

Why not try a Lautus interconnect? I cannot claim it will increase your bass (although designed to do so).
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic