FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo SRGII, a little box of wonders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Gijo1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gijo1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 11:06am
I realise this thread is a little old, but in some ways relevant to my current lines of inquiry for HiFi for new fathers :)

I am considering the venerable Senn HD650 as the cans, and now I am wondering what the options are for amplifying the analogue signal of choice. At this stage I feel like I am bound to purchase an Accession for the vinyl duties, so was wondering if there is such a thing as a headphone power amp? that could run from the variable output of the accession?

Any info would be great, especially if someone can shed any light on the possibility of running the accession and a headphone amp from a single PSU1.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 4:02pm
Hello Dan, what you propose should be OK and will give a superb quality little system Smile

I run an Accession & Reflex M from a single PSU1 & previously paired the Reflex M with a Solo ULDE headphone amp on the same setup.

The PSU1 requires a simple cable mod & if the two main items are ordered together, I'm sure Grahams' colleague, John Cadman will adapt the output lead for you.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 8:17pm
If you go for the Sennheiser HD650, I wouldn't recommend buying them brand new as they are very expensive for what they are. Get a set in good condition on Ebay for significantly less money. That way, you can sell them to restore most of your spend if you don't get on with them.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 8:47pm
Good point Ash this is generally true of a lot of hi fi electronics in particular maybe less so with other transducers which are easier to screw up with misuse.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Gijo1977 Gijo1977 wrote:

Any info would be great, especially if someone can shed any light on the possibility of running the accession and a headphone amp from a single PSU1.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Anything's possible and Andrew runs his phono stages from a single PSU1, but a headphone amp uses much more current and it might not bode well with the Accession. Worth a try if the budget won't stretch I suppose, but I would avoid doing so if possible.

Edited by Graham Slee - 25 Aug 2017 at 1:43pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Gijo1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gijo1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 1:50pm
Thanks for the replies.

I actually just bought a pair of HD650 in pre-loved condition. Hopefully they are in the as-promised condition when they arrive :)

As for the dual powering issue, I guess I will see about the cable mod at the time I order the accession. How would the Novo work with these vs the solo? I would be interested in any info.

PS I am waiting on my new speaker cables to be completed by John at the moment, so my GS products are growing slowly.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 2:49pm
Powering two GS phono stages from one PSU1 is probably okay because phono level is a low current domain. But headphone amps operate at line level so require more current. The PSU1 is 1/5th amp max so dividing this modest current over two devices could limit available gain for high impedance headphones.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic