FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

Solo Diamond Ultra Linear - Oh My God!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Edmond_Terakopian Edmond_Terakopian wrote:

Hmm, worrying to hear that Badger

Here's a subjective opinion... the RS1s are the 2nd most expensive can in my collection and yet I could not rate them anywhere near the top 5 in terms of any overall measure including head time. Yet on occasion they have a magic that no other can ive heard possesses. I'm hoping the DE will bring that more consistently. Especially with Grado being such a 'marmite' can, I do not find that worrying... frustrating sometimes perhaps as I want that magic all the time (!), but that is often the nature of this pursuit.
Solo UL - Voyager - HD 800 - M30
Edmond_Terakopian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmond_Terakopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 10:26am
I think so many variables come into it that one setup (source, amp, headphones etc) can't bring out the best in every piece of music. Genre is one aspect but I think quality of sound engineering and recording is another. My personal thoughts are it is a hobby and pursuit, but I'm conscious of not letting that get in the way (and become an obsession) of what I really like; getting lost in the music.
One thing's for certain though, even without my Solo ULDE being anywhere near burnt in and ready, I'm hearing details and subtleties in music which I thought I knew well! It's fabulous as it's almost like they are new to me now and I have the joy of discovering them again, but this time, fully :-)
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 11:28am
I on the other hand believe the RS-1 are as good as it gets for under $1,200 and thus why they have been with me the longest. BTW, I ran the GS1000 for 400 hours before critical listening and they did not do it for me. A pity there is no shop around you where you can try them out first.
Miguel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmond_Terakopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 11:34am
Hmmm, interesting that after 400 hours they still didn't do it for you. Good to hear your thoughts on the RS-1. It's on my shortlist too (I hasten to add, not as well - it'll be just the one purchase!!).
Out of interest Miguel, what is your favourite pair and generally what do you enjoy listening too??

Cheers,

Edmond

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jog3004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 9:53pm
Hi Edmund, I'll try put my two penneth in, I too had the Grado SR325is & during the time I had these I loved them, albeit, comfort left a lot to be desired! However, I then heard the Denon ahd5000, these blew my Grado SR325is out of the water. Everything was better. I point this out as, like you, when I was thinking of upgrading, I too was stuck on Grado as the upgrade, but ended up buying Denon, & the bonus is the Denon just got better when I followed MarkL mods, which started to fix the slightly overblown bass, to me the only negative I can give to stock ahd5000. What I'm trying to point out is don't rule out other makes just because of the SR325is as I nearly did, incidentally, when I listened to the RS-2 I found these sonically different to the SR325is, mainly less bright sounding and more warmer sounding, maybe due to the wood?? I still bought the Denons & have never looked back. Just further food for thought.
James

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmond_Terakopian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 12:21am
Cheers James; appreciate the feedback and thoughts :-)
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 12:05pm
My favorite cans are the old ADK K1000 ear speakers but these are a bear to drive well so a real stereo amp works best. For traditional dynamic cans I have a few favorites:

1. Grado RS-1
2. Denon AH-D2000/5000 with MarkL mods and Bubinga Wood Cups.
3. AKG K501 re-cabled with silver plated OCC wires

Miguel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic