FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Small bookshelf speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small bookshelf speakers
    Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 10:07am
Can any one recommend reasonably priced small bookshelf speakers that work well against a wall. Size should be around Warfdale Diamond size. They are to go on shelves directly against a wall. I believe Mission made some and also made some for Denon !! But do they work against a wall?

Adrian.
Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 12:34pm
Hi

I have a pair of very small Denon speakers made by Mission. They came off a Denon midi system.

They look like this:

They have a rear port and I had until recently been using them on my computer. However, last week when I finally figured that the cross overs in my main speakers had died, I pressed them into service on my main system. They don't have a huge amount of bass in comparison to my TDL RTL2 but they sound surprisingly OK. It doesn't seem to matter where they are positioned.

The link above includes a What Hifi review of the whole system.

Dave
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 4:02pm
Hi Dave , thanks for that info.

Those are the speakers made by Mission I was trying to remember!, sadly not made any more. I shall look out for some/search the web etc. Colour is right too !!

Adrian.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 4:23pm
I think I read somewhere that mission also sold these under their own brand name.  Those are more likely to be available second hand or in some shop's store room, I'd have thought. I doubt many mini stytem buyers upgrade speakers...
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by ABPest ABPest wrote:

Can any one recommend reasonably priced small bookshelf speakers that work well against a wall. Size should be around Warfdale Diamond size. They are to go on shelves directly against a wall. I believe Mission made some and also made some for Denon !! But do they work against a wall?

Adrian.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention....

I have a pair of Royd Sintras in my garage, sitting unused.

They are 7 litre minatures, finished in black real wood veneer. Again rear ported and can be sited more or less anywhere but they have a leanish sound and are happy near walls.  Very heavy though: mass loaded with cast iron or something. Need a very strong shelf...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 5:15pm
Dave , you have put me into a minefield LOL

A quick look on evilbay shows results for Mission/Denon  SCM5K, SCM10K, SCM51 etcShocked

Never heard of the Royds, and not a lot of info apart from being introduced 1990. Sounds like postage would be more than valueWink and how big is 7 litres? Embarrassed

I'll keep looking on evilbay for more SCM's..................................

Adrian.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 8:09pm
Royd is owed by Jon Ackroyd who designed a whole range of 7 litre miniatures including the A7, Eden and Sintras. At the time 1992(?) the Sintas were introduced, they were Royd's statement small speaker. Cost about £350 back then. Got mine as part of a system from Grahams Hifi (Pink Triangle LPT, Onix OA21s, Sintras).  Royd went on to do the Minstral transmission line and a bunch of other stuff. Still going strong - they even have a little museum of past products:  http://www.roydaudio.com/main.htm

They are very tight and detailed but a little forward for my taste (the scanspeak tweeters maybe).  They are a little bigger than the Denons but not much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic