FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Single driver speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 7:26pm

Edited by Ash - 25 Feb 2019 at 11:46am
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 10:08pm

Edited by Ash - 25 Feb 2019 at 11:48am
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 10:20pm
Hi Ash from a quick read of the D5 webpage, It's a $400 speaker and the DSP is a key part of their concept, I agree with you. Also I think you're probably right that it's one amp per speaker cabinet with a passive crossover to split the signal to LF and HF drivers, and right to confirm this.

Personally I'd want to audition them in "stock" condition first and see if I liked their sound/character.

The Proprius enclosure is the amp's heatsink and an efficient, quality SMPS to power each amp. So the box that goes on the speaker cab is quite small and designed to be near the drivers.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 10:26pm
Heatsink, oh, of course! How did I not think of that... LOL
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 9:54am
Ash, I agree totally with Jon about auditioning them before making any modifications. Also don't forget that a chunk of the purchase price will be going to the amplification, and that the speaker components will be more equivalent to a cheaper passive model.

Since your plans are to get some Proprii they obviously need to be partnered with the best speakers you can afford. I think you're right in identifying pro-am studio gear as being good value, but if you went for a passive speaker (Tannoy DC maybe, or Kef?) and for the time being used them with a cheap T-amp, you could save up for the GSP amps over time.

It might just be my innate conservatism (small C there!!) but gutting an active speaker - one bought from new especially - wouldn't be the path I'd go down ....

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 10:32am
Quite expensive at £800 these Kef LS50 speakers have been going down a storm, and seem a successor to the LS3/5a. They aim "to bring the studio into the home". Amps from 25 to 100 watt can apply.

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 10:37am

Edited by Ash - 25 Feb 2019 at 11:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic