FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Single driver speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:30pm
How did you get on with your CD ripping Ash?
What format did you finally decide to rip to?
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:36pm
I've just got some ripped stuff in WAV and some purchased stuff in FLAC atm.

Still got more to learn.

(Yes, I'm sure I will end up with everything in FLAC eventually but for now, at least I know almost everything recognizes the WAV format. Although Galaxy S3 plays FLACs with no issue.)

Edited by Ash - 16 Jun 2014 at 9:39pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:38pm
Back on topic now.
I mentioned to Graham yesterday that I used wideband drivers in a rear loaded horn, with a HF helper.

These are my speakers (the actual ones)

and these are the HF helpers - they improve attack and articulation no end, and the leading edge definition to bass notes is improved too.

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:41pm
Wow, these speaker units look very well made. Very nicely worked materials! Big smile Approve
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 10:24pm
A good friend of mine built them.
The standard of his builds gets better all the time.

The main drive unit is a Mark Audio CHP-70, 1st Generation.
The driver is just 4 inches diameter, yet it has no problems reproducing quite deep bass in the right cabinet.
The cabinet being a rear loaded horn integrates nicely with the back wall of the living room - I'm really pleased with the sound I get from them.

The CHP-70 is run as wide band'
The HF helpers are padded down to match the sensitivity of the CHP-70, and then a simple 1st order high pass filter is set on a corner frequency of 13.5kHz - I reached the values purely by ear and with the capacitors available to me at the time.
With the corner frequency being 13.5kHz and the feed in filter being 1st order there's a large area where both drivers are covering the same frequency bands.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 7:33am
Hi Chris,

...which takes us back to that old question of "how do we hear it?", and here is my opinion:

We simply don't hear tweeters that high up in frequency - well, Ash might hear some of it - so why bother with a "helper"?

Well, without it you'd know about it! So if we can't hear that high what the heck is telling the brain that we can?

And the only plausible answer left is.... phase!

Likewise, at the show I turned the LS3/5a monitors down to off, and the output of the subs (t'other end of the spectrum) was virtually zero by comparison, but during 'normal' operation the effect of having the subs working or not working could be 'heard'.

Extend phase 'flatness' well beyond our hearing capacity, and it makes a profound difference. Do that with digital and it sounds analogue!

Chris's simple RC 'crossover' starts bringing in the "helper" at the same, but opposing rate of the falling mechanical output of the main drive unit, so the phase is 'held-up'.

I shall have to try a simulation of summing an RC and a CR filter sometime.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

Back on topic now.
I mentioned to Graham yesterday that I used wideband drivers in a rear loaded horn, with a HF helper.

These are my speakers (the actual ones)

and these are the HF helpers - they improve attack and articulation no end, and the leading edge definition to bass notes is improved too.

Wow! They are seriously lovely looking speakers, Chris Cool
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
  Share Topic