FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Single driver speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Frostg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frostg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single driver speakers
    Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 2:21pm
Just wondering what the real advantages/disadvantages are?

Also how will the proprius mate with them, well or not?

Just in case anyone thinks I am completely potty (and you would not be far from the truth), here is a link to the sort of speaker I am interested in thoughts about. And I realize thrash and heavy metal would not be the biggest strength of these.
I hope it is ok putting the link for reference, if not will a moderator please forgive my sin and remove the offending article.
http://omegaloudspeakers.com/products/super6series

Thanks for any thoughts.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 4:25pm

I had a quick look at those, with a specified rating of 93dB @ 8 ohms they should be capable of disturbing the neighbours if driven by the Proprius.

I love my single driver back loaded horns and so I think does Geoff Husband of tnt-audio who reviewed their bigger brothers the Polaris back in 2000 - he ended up buying them and still has them AFAIK - his review covers some of the things you are asking and can be found @ http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/lothpolaris_e.html 

For lots of info on single driver speakers in general try http://fullrangedriver.com/singledriver/

Beware of following these foolish notions - there be dragons Stern Smile

Frostg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frostg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 12:38am
Thanks Tony, as ever a source of information. Maybe you should be renamed TgWiki!
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 9:11pm

Edited by Ash - 25 Feb 2019 at 11:45am
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 10:16pm
Or - get a pair of Tannoy (passive) Reveals and a pair of Proprius amps bolted to the back. Dual concentric studio type speakers with GSP electronics . . .

However I'd think that with drivers/amps/DSP/cabinet all matched those Equator boxes probably sound pretty good.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 10:29pm
The Equator D8 is being released very soon. However, I do not need 8 inch woofers and larger cabinets in my small room. The bass reflections would be a nightmare in my untreated room, I'm sure. I think the D5 will have enough bass for me. No "elephant bass" is required. Imagine all those D5 alterations I suggested being applied to the D8 instead.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2013 at 10:54am
Ash, they are impressive little two-way speakers. I think the RH knob is labelled "crossover," implying they are bi-amped with an internal active crossover. It may be worth checking if the amp swap to one Proprius will work as simply as you have in mind.

Addendum: Their website says 2 x 50W i.e. they have an amp inside the speaker for both the LF and HF drivers.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic