FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Simple Sub-Woofer Driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 1:10pm
Yeah AFAIK dedicated sub outs tend to be the province of AV amps and that's not an area I have any knowledge of. 2 channel mostly (?) seem to just connect to any full range stereo out, using a Y connector if you only have one sub. Maybe to do something as simple as that on the back panel via a mono switch would be more elegant? REL's should preferably be connected to the speaker terminals on the back of the amp according to the manual and that's how I use mine. 

Edited by DaveG - 17 Jul 2015 at 1:13pm
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 1:45pm

Having tinkered with a sub solely for 2 channel music use, my feeling would be that a volume controlled output pair with a summing switch would be more than sufficient.

Tony G
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Having tinkered with a sub solely for 2 channel music use, my feeling would be that a volume controlled output pair with a summing switch would be more than sufficient.

I would concur with that.
As almost all subs have their own filter arrangement and the object is to keep things simple, the volume controlled pair with sum switch should be more than adequate. Such an output might also prove useful for those wishing to bi-amp.
It should also be borne in mind that many or even most(?) users will never use such a facility.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 7:00am

Elaborating a little, I am not suggesting a separate volume control, only that the signal pass through the same circuit as the stereo preamp stage but with a summing switch inserted immediately before them. 

So, parallel output but with the option to sum.

Or, put another way, a preamp out with its own mono switch.

Edited by tg - 18 Jul 2015 at 7:14am
Tony G
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 10:11am
For me the simple "sub out" phono socket would be a full range signal L and R summed after the volume control. Let the sub do the LP filtering and no HPF (other than DC blocking) in the main L/R signal path.

As previously posted I use a pair of REL subs connected to the main speaker feeds (high level) blended into the speakers' roll off. I think the same approach is best for low level connection of a subwoofer for stereo hi-fi. Contrarily I'm fine with having bass management in multichannel AV.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 1:17pm
Would a pair of pre-outs and a pair of power-amp inputs at the back be a solution? For "2.0" listeners without subs the sockets would be linked together and for those few "2.1" listeners with subs a talented little GSP box of tricks could be purchased and placed inbetween the sockets. This would split out the lows and highs accordingly. The highs would obviously be fed back in and the lows would go to dedicated sub outputs. Saves 2.0 listeners from paying for possibly complex electronics they don't need?

btw - Will it have tone controls? :-p
Aren't ears brilliant
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2015 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by JamesD JamesD wrote:

Would a pair of pre-outs and a pair of power-amp inputs at the back be a solution? For "2.0" listeners without subs the sockets would be linked together and for those few "2.1" listeners with subs a talented little GSP box of tricks could be purchased and placed inbetween the sockets. This would split out the lows and highs accordingly. The highs would obviously be fed back in and the lows would go to dedicated sub outputs. Saves 2.0 listeners from paying for possibly complex electronics they don't need?

btw - Will it have tone controls? :-p
Yes, this is basically what the M&K device does that I linked to earlier and the results were quite impressive. If Graham produced a stand alone unit with selectable crossover slopes and a variable frequency range I am sure it could do an even better job. The issue would be potential volumes vs development costs though
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic