New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Should I upgrade my LP12 or just buy something new
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Should I upgrade my LP12 or just buy something new

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I upgrade my LP12 or just buy something new
    Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 2:51pm
I've got a pre Cirkus LP12 Valhalla with an Ittok LVll sporting a 10x5. To upgrade it will cost a small fortune. A new sub chassis and bearing will be circa £1200 plus say a Lingo and I'm told I'll need a corner braced plinth plus maybe a Trampolin.

On the upside I'd be able to do it a bit at a time and get some bits 2nd hand but would it be worth it? Will the sound produced be £2k worth? Should I just get a modern deck.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 3:19pm
Hi Ernie,
Apparently there is a new bamboo plinth for the LP12 which, according to a recent review in one
of the big UK mags, is one of the biggest upgrades you can make to an LP12.
http://www.booplinth.com/
An LP12 can turn into a sort of 'Triggers Broom' with all new bits & upgradesSmile

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 3:33pm
So let's get this straight, £1650 for four pieces of mitred wood (well bamboo) , glued together and stained. I'm in the wrong job!
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 3:42pm
You could buy a nice SRM Arezzo or Gyrodec SE etc for that cash - no plinth required.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

So let's get this straight, £1650 for four pieces of mitred wood (well bamboo) , glued together and stained. I'm in the wrong job!
A college friend of mine sold his company and added the Anniversary Edition LP12 (a piece of old whisky cask) to his DS Klimax setup at £28k including cartridge.

I have heard his system, it doesn't sound good
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 6:07pm
hehe! Triggers broom.. I like that!

A very long time since I've heard an LP12. My feeling, gleaned almost entirely from the media admittedly, is that they are a little off the pace these days except maybe in top, i.e. very expensive, spec. Afficionados love them though.

Me, I'd sell the L*nn & start from scratch.

As you already have one an upgrade does look tempting, I guess it depends how much you like it now. But I wouldn't listen to any opinions, including dealers (or mine Wink) but instead make a point of demo'ing of a fully loaded sample. And then go & have some fun listening to what else 2k will buy you. The only sure way to tell & there are a lot of very tasty options out there.

As someone said, You can get a complete Gyro SE for the cost of a Booplinth. Similar money will get you a good 2nd hand Orbe, which I'd hazard would compare well to an LP12 of any kind. You could even stand it on an old whisky cask!! (sorry but that also made me laugh). Kinda puts all these upgrades into perspective.
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 6:10pm
Is the http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/vivid.html worth considering?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic