FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Sennheiser HD 800 S

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 10:56am
A short old/new HD800 comparison here:

I used a variety of songs with strong female vocal that could get a little shouty on the original 800′s and a few other tracks with strong bass lines to see if this is an area that has been improved on the 800S’S, so how did they sound?

The short answer is that the higher frequencies are definitely more controlled, slightly smoother whilst retaining all the detail that the 800′s are known for, you get a more natural presentation but for me the extra bass at the bottom end is the real improvement, again it is not a huge difference, it doesn’t turn them into a Audeze LCD-2 :-) but it is definitely more defined with a little more punch which helps track the bass line of any song better giving a more rounded sound.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
ROMPerformance View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 11:17am
That's the only thing with my HD 800, i could do with a little bit more bottom end hence why i'd love these to sound a bit more like my Harbeths in that department anyway, a little bit more punch would be nice too but i think the top end is fine.  I love the way they sound anyway so it's highly unlikely i would change them for the S version.

I don't want to mess with the sound using bass/treble or any kind of equalisation which IMHO tends to generally colour the sound so they will have to sound just the way they do now, which for me is very probably good enough.

Like anything else at this end of the market, if you want more base turn it up, and i regularly do.  I will have to find somewhere selling the 800S, that will let me audition some alongside mine just to satisfy my curiosity.
Francis :0)
Majestic DAC, Proprii, Solo ULDE, Voyager, Libran, Lautus, Spatia,, Cyrus CD XT SE2, Cyrus PSX-R, Sennheiser HD 800 and 540 Ref2, Harbeth SHL5
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 12:43pm
I used the HD800 (serial number 30466) with the Solo Ultra-linear and the bass performance was fantastic; was not lacking in weight or extension in my opinion. There was no "hump or thump" in the bass either; simply very resolving and articulate. I didn't have any issue with a fatiguing treble either; all-in-all, it was a properly scaled up version of the HD540II that I compared alongside it. Superb sound; just a shame about the lack of musical engagement and the needlessly large "coffin box", huge instruction manual and heavy fabric-sheathed cable. They were clearly trying to cater for snobs, not sensible engineers.

If you can put these issues aside however, the HD800 is pretty much the pinnacle of high fidelity reproduction possible from a conventional headphone WITH AN ENCLOSURE. Thumbs Up
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 12:54pm
When/if my local dealer gets the 'S' in a polite request for a demo is on the cards.
I do feel the treble could be a lot better - just my opinion of course. When returning to
speaker listening after a session with the 800s the speaker's top end has all the 800's
detail but is much smoother.

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 1:08pm
I have a sneaking suspicion that this harsh characteristic of the HD800 is in how its phasing presents microdetails. The noise and low level nuances are placed more in your face than just "being there" in the background, where you would still otherwise hear them because all the frequencies are so level that its inevitable that you're going to hear it. Just my thoughts.
Benja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016 at 2:02pm
I also read that HD800 sounded different before 2012 i think.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 8:32am
I've now had a good listen to the new HD800S & to my ears they are much better than the originals,
particularly in the treble which is now smoother without the hard, bright edge.
The clean, clear treble is actually some of the best I've heard from headphones.
They retain the open & detailed sound of the earlier version.
Bass is a little deeper - I think this may improve with more use.

Hats off to the Solo ULDE for making these differences clear to hear.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic