FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Semiconductor silicon is made using coal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Semiconductor silicon is made using coal
    Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 6:45am
Just think of the number of propaganda films that show sand being made into semiconductor silicon, except they never show the process, just sand, and then, like a miracle, a giant silicon crystal ready to be sliced up. Complete bullsh*t! And they know it is, because the truth of the matter is it burns coal! This is why Xi won't attend COP26, because he knows that to supply our western world with the gadgets it relies on, requires coal mines.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 7:01am
I must say that I find it extremely hypocritical of the rest of the world to criticize China for their high contribution to CO2 emissions when they have been so busy exporting a lot of their product manufacturing out there for a more profitable business model and to make themselves appear to have a lower carbon footprint than they actually do. Let's get somebody else to make our stuff more cheaply and in higher volume than we can then condemn them for industrial activity whilst we sit on the sidelines polishing our halos.

Censored

Edited by Ash - 03 Nov 2021 at 9:07am
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 7:20am
It doesn't take much research to find quartz quarries near Oldham. Also nearby Mottram where coal was transported from South Yorkshire coalfields from Wath marshalling yard over the Woodhead line. Ferranti made transistors in Oldham.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 7:33am
I just looked up what silicon ore is, as I did not actually know how silicon is obtained. I guessed it was found in the Earth's crust in a non-elemental form but at 33, I never realised that common sand was silica; the source of both silicon and quartz. Like the ores of other elements, the smelting process to isolate pure elemental silicon requires energy input (heat) and coke (carbon). Embarrassed
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 7:57am
Thank you for taking an interest, Ash.

I remember visiting Zetex (Ferranti) when working with Darryl (I think you might have seen him helping me set up at Aylesbury). We'd gone there for a meeting with their engineers about an exhibition. We saw the abandoned transistor fabrication labs. They said mothballed. The picture below shows what eventually happened.

Ferranti - Oldham
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 8:23am
I remember their transistors were cheap enough for me to buy from what was left of my meagre wages (1970s).

I remember components being the same price they are now (inflation adjusted) when making and assembling printed circuit boards (1980s).

I have often wondered why many local and national industries fell like dominoes from the mid-eighties. Obviously it is driven by a much darker force than the media showed.

Hasn't it all been made to look beautiful?

All those quarries and mines in Derbyshire just for quartz jewellery? The place made into a national park where industry isn't allowed. Lea Ronal chemicals disappeared from Buxton and for good. My list is a "mile long" and it would just bore you all.

I've always wondered why all of this happened, and for good reason, because these "unseen" combinations bust my little business back in the 80's.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 8:27am
I think I need to go back to chemistry class and apply my knowledge of the periodic table to the real world. Would be interesting to learn how all the different elements are obtained and all their uses in technology hardware.

Edited by Ash - 03 Nov 2021 at 9:07am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic