FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Revelation M

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Bi-wire Bi-wire wrote:

Yes, Johan, toggle switches are indeed cool Cool 
I don't have a Revelation, but do have an Elevator and Solo and agreed that the toggle switches are great - nicely retro, with a positive operation, giving a quality feel . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 5:29pm
I think it's perhaps an inner child sort of thing. You just know that toggle switches means serious gadgetry. The way all tech stuff ought to look.

Edited by suede - 07 Dec 2013 at 6:08pm
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 8:04pm
That is a very good idea Peter about noting the "curve" or setting that sounds best on older LP's. I will adopt this.
Bob, guess which 1980's LP benefits from the -16dB setting. Reduced high frequencies on the high life...

And Suede is right about the look. Toggle switches are cool.

In my readings I have downloaded various preamp manuals and reviews. No names but most of their prices are eye-watering and remind me what great value Graham Slee hi-fi equipment is.

Out of curiosity I played on paper with the Jung RIAA and Genera circuits. Trying to work out alternative component values and switching for the various non-RIAA frequencies/time constants made me appreciate what an achievement the Revelation is. And I only did the basic calculations, not the modelling and extensive measurements of real circuits. The Revelation offers so many musical options in a quite small box.

Not only am I hearing my RIAA vinyl better than ever, the Revelation is like having new editions of some of the older albums. I am very happy owner!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 9:05pm
Ah, yes! The stripping wallpaper sound of Back in the High Life .... I equalised my rip in software to tame it, but the Revelation would be a neater solution.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 11:01pm
One of the best label and EQ guides I have found is the FFT curves list in VinylStudio, the program I use for v-ripping. It corroborates my experiences with some of my 50's and 60's vinyl, where I like the Revelation's -11dB setting as it adds back presence to these LP's.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 16 Dec 2013 at 9:48pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 6:35am
We manufacturers all stick so rigidly to 'the RIAA curve' for fear of ridicule when in reality the 'curve' used to EQ a magnetic cartridge to play RIAA standard records is actually two curves, only one of which is the RIAA correction.

We should be able to design the replay curve component values exactly on paper using mathematics but it never works like that in practice. Why? Because the magnetic cartridge correction, which is the other 'non-RIAA' curve, interacts.

We, or should I say I, see all those AES articles on RIAA correction written by 'the masters' and wonder why this has never crossed their minds.

Time and again I've tricked John and Leo here by playing them a 'new mystery cartridge' but now my little joke is wearing thin. They were staggered by its sound, and still are, but now they know what it is...

With this cartridge no magnetic EQ is required. It only has RIAA EQ. What is it? It's a ceramic crystal cartridge! The type which the RIAA time constants were designed around...

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 11:45am

Quote One of the best label and EQ guides I have found is the FFT curves list in dBPoweramp, the program I use for v-ripping

This had me somewhat perplexed until I substituted VinylStudio for dBpoweramp. Wink

Edited by tg - 01 Feb 2017 at 12:58pm
Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic