FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Record Doctor VI?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 3:32pm
No, not a big deal if the AI Fluids are not a concentrate, I just was not sure from what I was reading.

At his stage with so few albums on hand, I might just try a 32oz bottle of both AI 6 and AI 15.
That would be enough to clean what I currently have more than a few times over.

I will try to figure out if it will be the SQ or the DR. 

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by HPower HPower wrote:

No, not a big deal if the AI Fluids are not a concentrate, I just was not sure from what I was reading.

At his stage with so few albums on hand, I might just try a 32oz bottle of both AI 6 and AI 15.
That would be enough to clean what I currently have more than a few times over.

I will try to figure out if it will be the SQ or the DR. 

Just a note. I definitely DO NOT recommend AI #15 if you get a Record Doctor. The RD requires you to apply fluid, spin by hand, then flip over the record to vacuum. You will make a mess with the AI#15 and get it on the label. That's not good. It will also be harder to do rinse cycles which are a must with AI #15. Not sure about #6 as I haven't used it personally.

To be clear, the RD machine is really designed to be used with "one step" cleaner where you apply the cleaner, vacuum, and then you are done. I don't like one step cleaners because they are very weak (don't clean that well) IME and tend to leave residue even though they are supposedly "one step". Not everyone dislikes one step cleaners. Some folks like them and that's all they use. Not for me though.

You'll have to decide for yourself what is best.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 7:37pm
David
I was thinking about making a vacuum based cleaning Machine after watching youtube video about the Record Doctor, I didn't realize that it didn't turn the record it self. I thought to myself all you would need is a old turntable or something like it and use a hand held vacuum and you would have something at less than 1/2 price. I have said this many of times record or turntable accessories are well over priced. This Squeaky Clean is it manufactured and shipped from the USA? On their website it's priced at less than £100 all in (not the vacuum) but it don't give you much else as in, INFO.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

David
I was thinking about making a vacuum based cleaning Machine after watching youtube video about the Record Doctor, I didn't realize that it didn't turn the record it self. I thought to myself all you would need is a old turntable or something like it and use a hand held vacuum and you would have something at less than 1/2 price. I have said this many of times record or turntable accessories are well over priced. This Squeaky Clean is it manufactured and shipped from the USA? On their website it's priced at less than £100 all in (not the vacuum) but it don't give you much else as in, INFO.

Jon, I have seen a number of DIY projects on various forums for RCM. One guy really wanted a fancy Loricraft type machine and couldn't afford it, but spent $300 and several hours of skilled labor building his own version. It was truly impressive. Obviously something like that is not for the average person. You would need some electronics skills beyond just following directions.

The Squeaky is made in Canada and ships from Canada. I can tell you it works as I have been using it for 5+ years and have cleaned 800+ records with it.

The guy that makes it does it as a side business. It's not his main gig. Since it's not a mass produced product like other cleaning machines from big, international brands, you can't really expect the fanciest website.

The device does require a bit of a learning curve to get used to. Personally given the cost it was a better use of my time and money to just buy it rather than making my own. If you have a big working area like a garage and a plethora of tools and like DIY, knock yourself out :).
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 8:34pm
I used a brush and suck RCM for several years. They do work well. May I pass on the good advice I was given to use distilled water in the final stage.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 09 Dec 2021 at 8:35pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 8:52pm
Last 3 post were GREAT!

My reading the last week or so makes me agree, 2 step method makes the most sense to me.
Rinsing "everything" off with the distilled water at the end sound ideal.
Top mounted vacuum also looks like the best practice and the least messy.
Buying Canadian is a patriotic bonus (sorry to you Brits and my cousins to the south).
I think Nick is only 30 minuted in-between my work and home.

I am going to order the Squeaky Clean from Nick.
I think I will ask for an extra wand to keep the wash and rinse cycle from contaminating each other.
Lowes has a Dewalt Shop Vac on sale until Dec. 15th with my name on it.

I wil be sure to report back after I have the Squeaky Clean up and running.

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by HPower HPower wrote:

Last 3 post were GREAT!

My reading the last week or so makes me agree, 2 step method makes the most sense to me.
Rinsing "everything" off with the distilled water at the end sound ideal.
Top mounted vacuum also looks like the best practice and the least messy.
Buying Canadian is a patriotic bonus (sorry to you Brits and my cousins to the south).
I think Nick is only 30 minuted in-between my work and home.

I am going to order the Squeaky Clean from Nick.
I think I will ask for an extra wand to keep the wash and rinse cycle from contaminating each other.
Lowes has a Dewalt Shop Vac on sale until Dec. 15th with my name on it.

I wil be sure to report back after I have the Squeaky Clean up and running.

Good luck. One last tip.

The valves on each wand are adjustable and control suction. When you are starting out, use some cheap records to test. IME, it is better to err on the side of less suction rather than more, especially considering the power the shop type vacs have. Now, when you have less suction, you will need to turn the record SLOWER for a couple extra rotations to get it dry. If you are paranoid about the record being bone dry, get a file folder rack with no sharp edges and let the record sit on that for 15-30 minutes before putting it back in the jacket.

Always use a fresh inner sleeve for the record as it makes no sense to put a clean record in a dirty sleeve. Typically I use MOFI inners or something very similar. If the original inner has lyrics or anything cool printed on it I just leave it in the jacket, but don't use it to store the actual record.

I also agree that distilled water is a must for record cleaning. Don't know what it costs in Canada, but here it is around $1 per gallon. I keep my distilled water in a cheap plastic spray bottle and spray it on the record, then vac, for my final rinse cycles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic