FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Question about Novo kit performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blazingtortoise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazingtortoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Novo kit performance
    Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 10:01pm
Hi there, I have just finished assembling my Novo headphone amp kit. I've tested all of the voltages as described in the instruction manual and they are all OK. Whilst the level of detail from the amp is incredible I find the sound a little light in the bass department. Is it possible I have made an error or have a dodgy component? Or is this a chacracteristic of the amp?

I am using a pair of Sennheiser HD595 headphones and a Squeezebox Receiver running through a Cambridge audio DACmagic.

Thanks in advance.

Simon.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 10:26pm
Simon, while the Novo does not have an exagerated bass it is good bass. However it takes a few hundred hours to burn-in, so use it for at least 350 hours and hear how it improves.
Miguel
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 8:20am
We have covered burn-in numerous times and it contributes highly to the 600 plus topics on this owners forum. There is a search facility in the navigation bar above.

When I was nothing but a teenage novice I remember things could sound great at switch-on then after a hour or two I would get bored - the sound had changed for the worse...

That's why the things I design today are designed to sound better with time, and therefore do the "flipside" of the equipment I bought in my teens.

The trouble with electricity is it's invisible so nobody sees the moving parts - electrons.

"...blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." (John 20: 29)

In my Austin Metro van many years ago I knew there were moving parts (the engine) and that it was new, so it didn't do top speed easily. After using it for several weeks it achieved XXmph!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazingtortoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 11:19am
Thanks for the replies, I suspected that would be the sugestion after reading the other threads about burn in, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't done something wrong in the assembly.

Also the amp that I have been comparing the Novo to is a Roksan Kandy, which I think has a very warm sound whick makes it easy to listen to but some of the detail is lost. After using the Novo only for a couple of days, Kind of blue (Miles Davis) and Wish you were here (Pink Floyd) sound absolutely stunning!

Looking forward to the next few hundread hours of burn in.

Simon.
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 2:09pm
Enjoy your new amp Simon. BTW, if you are using the switching psu do ground it using the post on the back of the Novo. Cheers.
Miguel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazingtortoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 2:18pm
Thanks Miguel, I've connected the earth post on the back of the Novo to the earth post on the back of the Roksan that is marked phono. Is this the right thing to do?

Simon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic