FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

...it could be explained by subtle directionality bias in copper conductors due to high voltage flash testing during manufacture but I honestly don't know.

In the past power lines were one way - from generator/distribution station to sub-station. With solar and wind power diversity many are now two way. OK, they are high tension, but current flow direction switching saw some early catastrophies.

(by the way HVDC is not 'flat DC' like a battery. It is still a waveform. I mention this because some of the power company research was using HVDC).

Obviously this cannot happen, so it didn't, except that it did.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
garygillespie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garygillespie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 7:47pm
I'll try switching the main 180% to see if that makes a difference, I didn't know that could change the sound.  
Also what is the name of the connector on the PSU1, not the DC plug 2.5mm?
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 8:18pm
The figure of 8 thing is a Telefunken power connector.
garygillespie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garygillespie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

The figure of 8 thing is a Telefunken power connector.

I'm talking about the connector that looks like an XLR, or some kind of 3 pin midi plug.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 8:44pm
DIN plug
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 10:13pm
If this is about the twin fig.8 unshielded DC cord (3-pin DIN to 2.5 DC plug), the subject has been covered numerous times, including earlier in this topic, and has been discussed several times since the PSU1 was introduced some 18 years ago. Yes, I know it doesn't look up to much, but we tried all kinds of exotic looking wires to no avail, and decided to save the customer's money by not jazzing up something that didn't need it.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by garygillespie garygillespie wrote:

I thought about changing out the power cord on my PSU1, and want your opinions.
I'm wanting to swap it out with an "Audioquest NRG-1.5 (2-Pole)" , or one of the upcoming models NRG-Y2 or NRG-Z2 (3-Poles) "specs on newer models"
Do you think I would gain anything from swapping the power cord out with one of these?
Thanks Gary.

Save your money Gary, several years ago I did this and I don't think it made a difference, wish it had! It did make a difference on my Sky box. By contrast I do think turning the mains connector into the PSU1 as described above changes the sound slightly .

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic