FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Novo Headphone amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JohnH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Novo Headphone amp
    Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 9:54pm
Hi
I have just completed building the Novo Head amp and after trying it with my Rocksan turntable which has an Audio technica ATOC9 Moving Coil cartridge, I realize that this will not work with this amp, what would be my best bet so that I can use this for listening with my AKG K701's.
Building the kit was really easy and the info was first rate.
All the best
John
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 1:25am
John,

Are you going straight from the turntable into the Novo?

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
JohnH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 6:36pm
Hi Graham
Yes, direct from the turntable into the Novo.
Cheers
John
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 8:01pm
Hi John,

We're here to help.

What you need is a phono preamp between the two.

You haven't wasted your money, but you will need a phono preamp. You don't have to buy one of ours, however, we are about to bring out the Genera phono preamp kit...

Now, the OC9 is a moving coil and that requires a moving coil phono preamp, and there will be two types of Genera kit: 1] a moving magnet sensitivity and 2] a moving coil sensitivity preamp - you want this one.

Let me explain in further detail...

The Novo is designed for a line input, that is to say, a source such as a CD player, radio tuner or tape recorder (or even a computer's audio output jack). These outputs are in the order of 1/4 to 2 Volts rms. They also have a "flat" tonal response, which means the bass, midrange and treble are all at similar volumes.

The OC9 cartridge has an output of only around 0.0003V (300 micro Volts), plus its tonal balance is dependant on the velocity of the record grooves. This means the bass output will be just 0.00003V (30 micro volts); the midrange (centred on a frequency of 1,000 Hz [cycles per second]) 0.0003V (300 micro volts - which is where its output is specified); and the treble 0.003V (3,000 micro volts or 3 milli volts).

In decibel terms, a gain of about 60 decibels (dB) is required (for moving coil - moving magnet needs about 40dB) at the specified midrange frequency - that's where a phono preamp comes in. It not only provides all that gain (60dB equals a thousand times), but also lifts the lower level bass and attenuates the higher level treble to give a "flat" response.

Each of the "Genera's" will do that and they will do that incredibly well.

Now, if you have a signal source such as a CD player, radio tuner or tape recorder (or even a computer's audio output jack), you can enjoy your Novo and discover how well your efforts were, for the time being.

I do hope this helps and please let me know if you need more help.

Best wishes,
Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
JohnH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 8:27pm
Thanks for that Graham
I will look forward to the Genera kits release.
I must just say that I have had a couple hours listening to the Novo fed by various inputs and I can only say that I have been missing something all these years! The sound is absolutely new (Depth, Width and involvement).
Again thank you for the fantastic service and backup, I will definately be in the market for the Genera.
All the best
John
JohnH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 8:12am
Hi Again Graham
Do you have a release date (and price) for the Genera kit?
I have been looking at the Gram Amp3 on your website would this be suitable? as you can tell I am not at all technical in these matters.
Thanks again
John
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 6:20pm
Hi John,

Yes the Gram Amp 3 Fanfare will be OK. In fact a bit more than OK because I have an OC9 and use it in development work of.... you guessed - the Fanfare (as well as the new more expensive MC stages soon to be announced). I also use an Ortofon Salsa and Goldring Eroica. If the stages work well with these I guess they'll work better with all those exotic (read expensive) cartridges.

Best wishes,
Graham
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic