FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New wave anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
mattG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 1:39am
Pretty much anything from their early years, up through the 'Oh, No! It's Devo' album. Favs would be Jocko Homo, Smart Patrol/Mr DNA, Gates of Steel.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:28pm
You've made me realise how little I know about an influential band! I have a couple of Devo tracks on compilations and will have a look for the albums you mentioned, thanks Matt. Is there one you would recommend?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
mattG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mattG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 2:04pm
Start at the beginning, get Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! and go from there.
AGiLiT View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGiLiT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by mattG mattG wrote:

Start at the beginning, get Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! and go from there.

... and then when you think you finally have a handle on Devo, check out : https://youtu.be/LmBawBVBRLw.  Here's the background on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Z_Listening_Disc.
Tony
Houston, TX
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 9:35pm
Wouldn't say I was a particular new wave fan but do have a great pressing of a Lena Lovich 10 or 12" 45 lucky number! May have to dig it out tomorrow for a listen as not played for several years.

Whilst hardly a claim to fame she did go to my school (before me!) so never met her.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 11:57pm
I feel a wave of nostalgia coming on!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 11:50pm
Cherry Red records are putting out a mammoth 5 CD Post Punk boxset right about next week. Forget the title but just search. If your vinyl is buggered from overzealous playing , there's lots of rare post punk on it!

Not a lot of spare time over xmas to listen to much vinyl on my new Analogue Works Hyperspace TT, sadly. But shifting things around and a box of early Simple Minds came to hand. Most peeps only know the band from their horrendous U2 wannabe post 1983 stadium rawk rubbish. But from Life in a Day in 1979, thru to New Gold Dream in 1983 they were simply unnassailable! A run of 6 of the most innovative, pioneering Kraut rock-electro- mutant disco....and plain weird ( take a bow Reel to Reel Cacophony) records ever committed to vinyl. Magnificent post punk new wave that sounds like nobody else really.

Magazine and early PiL too yesterday. Death Disco?
Bonkers, just mental and I love it. Sumptous dark experimental head music.

Only another 1000 or so of these post punk albums to go, wahhhaayy!
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic