FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Member in 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BillT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member in 2016
    Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 8:07pm
Hi gang,

New member from coastal South Carolina - getting back into Vinyl, now that I have retired after 45 years an EE (last 22 with a major semiconductor mfr), as a Principal Architect for Wireless (PAN, LAN and WAN) IoT Gateway and Sensor solutions.

You guys are going to give me a hard time as I have had my "vintage" Dual 1219 Idler Wheel TT rebuilt after being in the attic for eons.  New home theater receiver is sans integrated phono stage.  

As I seem to have lost the original V15 type II cartridge (likely my "better half" may have tossed it out in the move to SC, but it needed a new stylus when it went in the attic in 2001).  I am awaiting delivery of a Ortofon 2M MM Blue cartridge which should be good enough for my senior ears.   I also have had a Shure M97xE in the headshell in the TT, but the stylus diamond tip is missing (works fine in setting the turntable up for the anti-skating adjustment.......as a mechanical sample).  I may buy a aftermarket JICO stylus for it in the future. 

I have read the entire 47 page forum notes etc for the Genera preamp and am about ready to take the plunge on the kit as it seems a good fit (from both a design and implementation packaging standpoint) as well as the Novo headphone amplifier.

So......here is the question........is the Genera overkill for my cartridge and TT combos
I think not.

BTW.....Graham.......nice job on the design......is elegantly simple and follows the KISS principal; seems great MM performance bang for the BOM $.  At first blush I would have never expected a LF351 series op amp to be matched up to the RIAA audio preamp task.....but seems fine.  I used these guys in many AFE and active filter designs after getting weened on 741's early in my career.    

Cheers,

BT

BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 8:50pm
A warm welcome to the forum Bill. The Genera is hardly overkill. Not only will it bring the best from your Ortofon Blue, the asssembly process using through hole components will be good therapy!!
The Dual should do the cartridge justice, when funds allow perhaps a new arm would be a good investment.
Happy Retirement, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it's certainly the best job I've ever had.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 9:35am
Welcome to the forum Bill!

Originally posted by BillT BillT wrote:

You guys are going to give me a hard time as I have had my "vintage" Dual 1219 Idler Wheel TT rebuilt after being in the attic for eons.  

Why? Nothing at all wrong with using vintage turntables - I use three from the 80s. The bottom line is - do you get enjoyment from your equipment and the way it plays music? We're a tolerant lot here - no competing factions pushing their views to the detriment of others! 

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Genera build, and the sound it produces. Keep us posted on your progress Wink.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:34pm
Welcome aboard Bill. I have built the Genera, it's a great kit that you will enjoy building and listening to. I think it will bring the out of your turntable and whatever cartridge/stylus is on its arm.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:40pm
Nothing wrong with a Dual 1219. I've used BSR MP60's and Garard SP25's in my time and had good results out of them after taking out the auto-arm return mechanisms.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BillT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 1:42am
Thanks for the comments guys. BTW, I bought the 1219 TT new in 1971 and had it rebuilt at a great shop last year.....spins every bit as well after 45 years.

It's time to build the Genera, will be a project for February.
BillT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 3:34pm
Well.......the Genera is built.....was relatively straightforward, only issue was having to rely on my DVM to for resistor identification as its getting tougher to read color codes on the small parts.

So far......so good.   

I burned it in over night on the bench before initial sound testing this AM.   So far, I am impressed at the sound quality......great design and implementation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic