FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New furniture and PSUs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New furniture and PSUs
    Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 8:49am
I’m considering commissioning a piece of furniture to house my kit. The reasons are to hide the mess of cables, remove an ugly underpopulated Hi-Fi rack (small boxes don’t need the space) and to create some useful storage space, which might be used for LPs.

TTs would be on a wall mounted shelf. CDT and Majestic would be on top of the new piece of furniture. The new piece would have three shelves. The top shelf would be shallow and would accommodate Proprii, phonostages, switch and R Pi. The middle shelf would be deep enough for LPs, but could be used for other purposes. The bottom shelf would be shallow and would accommodate the PSUs. The top and bottom shelves would allow cable access through the back panel.

I think I’m right in saying that it is usually recommended that PSUs are off the rack, preferably on the floor. Here’s the question; what, if anything, would be the downsides of housing the PSUs on the bottom shelf, as I have described?

It is a suspended wooden floor in a 19th Century house.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:38am
Vibration/isolation. Until yo7 try it you won’t truly know, but you could try various isolation materials underneath (by ear). You could also try on/off the rack though best avoid carpet (heat).

If your gear is permenant the best way of tidying the cables up is to have them terminated to size, mains, interconnect and speakers. The STD PSU mains and outlet are long too and can be customised.
RichieCactus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichieCactus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 6:43pm
I wonder if you could attach some shielding material to the underneath of the shelf above where the PSU's will be ?

I've no idea what material or whether it would be effective - but sounds like a good idea !  Smile

rgds

Rega RP8/Cartridgeman MM3/Thorens TD166/AudioMods VI/Accession/Croft RIAA/Arcam A85/Quad 21L
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Vibration/isolation. Until yo7 try it you won’t truly know, but you could try various isolation materials underneath (by ear). You could also try on/off the rack though best avoid carpet (heat).

If your gear is permenant the best way of tidying the cables up is to have them terminated to size, mains, interconnect and speakers. The STD PSU mains and outlet are long too and can be customised.

We don’t do carpets so that’s OK. I agree about bespoke cable lengths if permanently sited, but I’d not be that certain.
Ifor
=====
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by RichieCactus RichieCactus wrote:

I wonder if you could attach some shielding material to the underneath of the shelf above where the PSU's will be ?

I've no idea what material or whether it would be effective - but sounds like a good idea !  Smile

rgds

I don’t understand why shielding might be needed.
Ifor
=====
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 6:30am
PSU1's best on floor. This is because of mechanical vibration which all mains transformers produce. The vibration has been known to "induce" 50Hz (60Hz if your mains is that) signal into other things. This might not happen in all cases. But seeing it has it is worth thinking about. The "phenomena" I  first discovered 30 years ago when building some amplifiers which had output transformers. I had mains hum on the output. I started removing bits of the circuit until there was no amplifier left - absolutely no connection to the output transformer, but there was still mains hum. It was because the mains transformer was doing what mains transformers do - they're constrained buzzers! The vibration was transmitted via the case to the output transformer which turned it back into electricity!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 8:44am
Thank you Graham.
Ifor
=====
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic