FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

My next cartridge: Dynavector 17D3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Analog Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My next cartridge: Dynavector 17D3
    Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 12:36am
I have decided to upgrade to the Dynavector 17D3 moving coil cartridge after I wear out my Audio-Technica AT150MLX.

The Dynavector 17D3 interests me for the following reasons:

*It has a very short 1.7 mm diamond cantilever. (As opposed to the more common 6 mm long aluminium or boron cantilevers found in other cartridges).

*It has a MicroRidge stylus. (Same as the MicroLine stylus of my AT150MLX - just another name for the same type of stylus).

*It has a ruler flat frequency response in the audible frequency spectrum. In fact, it is flat from 20 Hz  to 30 Khz, with the frequency range extending all the way up to 100 kHz.

*It does not cost a fortune. Price is around 900 Euros / 725 GBP.

The inductance of the 17D3 is not listed, but the DC resistance is listed as 38 ohms and the recommended load resistance is  "> 100 ohms". Output is 0.3 mV.

Does anyone have any experience with this cartridge?
And combined with an Elevator EXP will it be a good match with my Reflex?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 10:47am
£725.00...not a fortune !!!!

Thats how much I paid for my turntable Cry

Adrian.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by ABPest ABPest wrote:

Adrian.

And it is more than twice as much as I paid for my turntable. But compared to obscenely expensive MC cartridges that cost several thousand Euros or Pounds, the Dynavector 17D3, with its features and qualities taken into consideration, seems rather cheap.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 1:40pm
http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/dynavector_17d_e.html
You may have already read this review, what you may not know is that the reviewer uses an Era Gold V (which he lists) and an Elevator Exp (which he does not list).
I have no experience of this cartridge myself and have no wish to "rain on your parade" but I would offer the observation that it has been demonstrated before now, that a relatively cheap cartridge on a an expensive TT and arm combination will sound better than an expensive cartridge on a lesser TT and arm.
The reviewer above is using a TT arm combo worth about $8K and the rest of his system is at around the same level of performance.
My TT arm combo has cost me around $2.5K and I am running a cartridge that cost 1/10 of that (a superb value one I believe).
The DV you are looking is certainly a technically interesting one, and from the review quoted (I do trust that reviewer) gives a very good performance.
What I am suggesting is that perhaps you might get better value from investing in other areas of your system before jumping that far for a cartridge no matter how good it might be.
A suggestion only.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 2:40pm
@tg:

Thanks for your suggestion. Indeed the Dynavector 17D3 will be part of a complete system upgrade I have planned for 2009. I forgot to mention this in my initial post, but I would never install the 17D3 on my current Pro-Ject RPM4 player.

This is the system I am planning on getting:

*Pro-Ject RPM10
*Elevator EXP
*T+A P10 valve preamplifier
*E.A.R. 890 valve poweramplifier
*KEF Reference Model 205/2 speakers

That means almost everything will be replaced, with only my Reflex staying. With components like that the Dynavector should perform its best.

Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by ABPest ABPest wrote:

Adrian.

It's about the cost of my entire system!

Pink Triangle PT Too £200
Rega RB300 ??
Goldring 1042 £150
Naim 42.5 £60
Naim 110 £179
Naim Flatcap £150  (and still ripped off on this, shame on you Naim!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2008 at 2:02am
I am confident this is one of those cartridges that will reveal the fullness of the everlasting Gospel when listening to church music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic