FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

My new Solo Ultra Linear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 9:39pm
Sorry, I probably made it sound more complicated than it actually is.

This might be better explained by Graham as I don't understand it 100% myself. But the hiss you can hear is determined by SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) vs load impedance vs electrical sensitivity of the load.

(Impedance matching)

By hiss, I mean background noise produced by the amplifier stage (not background noise in the recording) most audible when no music is playing. Graham has said something very important about amplifier hiss in the past, in that trying to design the electronic circuit to silence it completely will detrimentally "kill" other more important qualities of the music signal so he avoids doing it for this reason. It's a juggling act.

Edited by Ash - 31 May 2021 at 9:56pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 10:29pm
Ash
yes that's better, I can see how it can kill the music quality as not all noise is bad (trying lose all noise) as we all know but as I said the hiss is something I'm use of. I have CDs with back ground noise in the quite parts that has to do with the way it's recorded, I don't think you can have totally quite parts if you wont the best sound quality and to hear all the music. For Graham this must be very hard work indeed.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 10:59pm
Graham studies things in extreme detail as it serves the purpose of refinement; every component featured in a circuit design has a role and he knows what that is and why it's there. The circuits probably boil down to being quite simple but they satisfy the ethos and intentions of the designer.

As you say, if there is surface noise with vinyl and background noise in live recordings, trying to totally eliminate amplifier hiss serves no purpose whatsoever and filters don't discriminate between signal and noise so both get attenuated. The designer is spinning multiple plates on sticks simultaneously, trying to preserve the whole picture. It takes a great deal of care and attention to detail.

Edited by Ash - 31 May 2021 at 11:00pm
loobz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loobz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 8:54am
Thank you both for your comments. It perfectly explaines what I felt/heard when I was listening but just couldn't grasp from a technical perspective. My Arcam rHead is completely hiss free even with sensible Grados but also completely lifeless. There is no live energy to music, everything sounds sterile. Could be perhaps a better match for other headphones ... but so far I like SUL best.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 10:57am
Your Solo Ultra-Linear is a very capable headphone amplifier. I assume it contains the original ultra-linear PCB and not the Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition upgrade PCB? If this is the case, I would recommend auditioning the Diamond Edition with your Grados, either via the loan scheme or by buying the upgrade PCB and slotting it into your existing case.

The Diamond Edition is intended to drive difficult loads like Grados better, with a lower noise floor. You will likely experience a significant reduction in hiss, without any loss of musical qualities. This option will be easier and probably cheaper than trying to calculate component values and buy materials to make a custom cable for the headphone to alter its load/sensitivity characteristics.

I'm confident Graham and other members here would also echo my ULDE recommendation for your intended use.
loobz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loobz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 11:08am
Yes, so I heard that ULDE is better for Grados. Unfortunately I am in Prague, Czech Republic and I have not found anyone with a ULDE to loan. I am not a DIY person but it seems I should be able to get this one together. Thanks for the suggestion! 
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 11:17am
Alternatively if you end up moving on to a headphone that is relatively high impedance in comparison, you might find there is little to no audible difference between UL and ULDE. I would have a think about what kinds of devices you intend to drive with the amp before committing to a new purchase, although it will only give you more options.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic