FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

My new music server

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new music server
    Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 7:16pm
I set about putting together my own music streamer. Those who followed my soldering efforts on a previous thread will be delighted to know that this project involved 8 solders and I was successful!   Maybe the Genera isn't so daunting after all.

My plan was a Rapberry Pi coupled with a HiFiBerry Digi running Volumio. So far I have failed with Volumio because for some reason the Pi doesn't pick up an IP address through Volumio. I've no idea why I have this problem and others don't. I'll keep trying, but for now I'm using Squeezelite and Logitech Media Server on Squeezeplug. Not strictly true because I haven't managed to get the LMS on the Pi to find the music on the iMac so for now I'm using LMS on the iMac to serve it up.

Drobo 4 bay / iMac / Ethernet / Devolo Homeplug / Mains / Devolo Homeplug / Ethernet / AirPort Extreme 2nd Generation / Ethernet / Devolo Homeplug / Mains / Devolo Homeplug / Ethernet / Raspberry Pi & HiFi Berry Digi / SPDIF / DAC
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 7:28pm
We're listening Ifor... Cool
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

We're listening Ifor... Cool

It needs a lot more listening to and I still hope to get Volumio working on it.

If you're interested I could loan it to you at Aylesbury and pick it up from you two or three weeks later.
Ifor
=====
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 2:09pm
At last I have successfully setup my Raspberry Pi / HiFiBerry Digi/ Volumio music server.  Total cost was about £50 and I'm now playing bit perfect (apparently) FLAC, ALAC and MP3 files which reside on an external hard disk connected to my iMac, which is tucked away in the study.  I think it's sounding pretty good and I'm glad I've got it working before I get my hands on a loan Majestic DAC.

It's hidden away behind the TV.  Incorporation into an enlarged Majestic case would be perfect .... Smile
Volumio is also AirPlay compatible which is nice.  Mine's connected by ethernet and Homeplugs rather than wirelessly.
Ifor
=====
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 4:34pm
So you managed to fix your share access issue?

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by ServerBaboon ServerBaboon wrote:

So you managed to fix your share access issue?

Eventually, but not by SMB.  I did some stuff in Terminal on the Mac so it's by NFS.
Ifor
=====
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic