FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Monobloc vs bi-amping (and bi-wiring)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chivas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chivas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monobloc vs bi-amping (and bi-wiring)
    Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 1:56pm
If anyone has an opinion on the following simple questions it will be greatly appreciated.

Rgds
Chivas

Question 1

I've heard two explanations for bi-amping:

1. From a handbook: You use 1 stereo amplifier to drive 2 both channels on the same driver of the two speakers, i.e. 1 amp will drive the LF drivers of both speakers and 1 amp drives the tweeters. -> This method seems full of complexities, e.g. are the impedances of the LF and HF drivers the same i.e. will the same amount of power be delivered to both drivers? If not, will this not make the speaker sound dull/bright or varying between the two? etc etc

2. From the manufacturer's user manual: 1 amp drives both drivers on 1 mono channel of one speaker. The two stereo channels become two mono channels, with 1 channel driving LF and the other HF. The other amp will drive the other speaker.

To summarise: In (1) Each amp drives both speakers, but the amps are split between drivers, in (2) you have a dedicated amp for each speaker with the mono channels split between drivers.

Which is the correct definition of bi-amping and which is the preferred way of doing it?

Question 2:
Which is the preferred method between bi-amping and using 2 monoblocs and is there a huge difference?

Question 3:
Does bi-wiring make a huge difference and does the difference pay the £'s spent on double the speaker cable length back?

mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 2:58pm
Miguel
Chivas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chivas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 9:17pm
It seems like all the answers are on Wikipedia...Wink
Any practical experience Miguel? What works best, does it make a big difference etc?

Chivas
ramsay View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 1:31am

look at larger scale live setups - even your local small music venue will most likely use a multi amp system..if you split the signal after amplfication i believe it is more wasteful in enegy terms than if you have the crossover before the amplification stage.. if youre interested have a jaunt down your local library or decent book shop, there are plenty live sound books out there that discuss the subject in detail.. there is one called the sound engineers handbook buy a guy whos second name is ballou .. (greg or glen or something similar) if you're interested in the nitty gritty. plus the guy will give you pro's and cons from a technical and hopefully non BS viewpoint. best to read a few different books though.. this may be helpful although i would run it by GS's Bullpat sensors first..   http://www.termpro.com/articles/xover.html
Monday you're the pigeon, Tuesday you're the statue, Wednesday you're the pile of sick that mysteriously disappears from the pavement overnight..
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2009 at 1:57am
Originally posted by ramsay ramsay wrote:

this may be helpful although i would run it by GS's Bullpat sensors first..   http://www.termpro.com/articles/xover.html

Seems all "sweetness and light" to me, but I only skimmed the latter part of it. It leaves out the real and imaginary parts of the math, but I reckon that's a good thing for the layman, but those with a thirst for learning could be left a little confused. Still, I believe it is done with good intention.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Jitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 2:54am
Using a stereo amp there are those two methods as described in your OP.

The first is known as Horizontal, the second is Vertical Biamping. The theory goes that each channel in vertical is looking after one driver. Consequently there is less interference between frequencies.

In my experience I have not been able to hear many differences between these two schemes.  There is a difference between biamping and mono-blocks.  Personally I prefer the mono route. 
...... and that's my opinion, take or leave it
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 1:31pm
I am considering going the single driver route! There are some nice offerings by companies like Fritz, Tekton, and Omega. The last is a bit pricey but if you buy used

Miguel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic