FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mm cartridge recommendations wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 7:27pm
I am still extremely satisfied with Ortofon 2M Bronze on my AR ES-1. A lot of my vinyl is 50+ years old and still sounds terrific. 
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 8:57pm
I bought a AT-VM95ML a few weeks ago and installed it on a stock 1200 MK2. It sounds very capable to my ears although it's early days. Some people might think it's a load of old rubbish but I'm tight when it comes to spending money on hifi. Big smile
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 11:02pm
+1 for the 2M Bronze as an excellent yet forgiving cartridge. Also, the Hana cartridges are terrific value for money!
Merry Christmas to all!
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 11:42pm
on my TecnoDec with RB250/Tecnoweight I use a Nagaoka MP110 and that sounds very good allround

TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2019 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by sheepskinstu sheepskinstu wrote:

I bought a AT-VM95ML a few weeks ago and installed it on a stock 1200 MK2. It sounds very capable to my ears although it's early days. Some people might think it's a load of old rubbish but I'm tight when it comes to spending money on hifi. Big smile

I've been using the same cartridge for months as you know. I liked it better in every aspect over my Goldring 1042, which is a much more expensive cartridge here in the U.S. ($675 vs. $170). In my objective and subjective testing the VM95ML easily won. I ended up selling the Goldring in the end.

RE: OPs choices, it would seem the effective mass of Rega tonearm will work with a decent variety of cartridges, so lots of choices out there.  
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Doug The Snail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug The Snail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:16pm
I love the Nagaoka line of MM carts. Very sweet, warm, and musical cartridges. Not extremely analytical but just a fantastic balance.
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Doug The Snail Doug The Snail wrote:

I love the Nagaoka line of MM carts. Very sweet, warm, and musical cartridges. Not extremely analytical but just a fantastic balance.

Really like my MP110 (already replaced three styli in 9 years) on the Rega RB250 arm into GramAmp2 Communicator with PSU1 (very big improvement) Wink
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic