FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mismatch between Voyager and iPod LOD?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
krismusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krismusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mismatch between Voyager and iPod LOD?
    Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 10:22pm
Hi,
I recently purchased a cable with a dock connector for my iPod to Voyager. I understand from another forum that this should result in better SQ. This made sense to me as the line out should bypass the iPod's internal amp? I was very surprised to find that even with the iPod volume set to minimum, I had to turn the Voyager down. The SQ actually sounds worse to me than using the headphone out.Shocked Is this something that other users have found?
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 1:01am
The iPod's volume will have no effect on the output of the dock. Those who have measure the line level output via the dock report a 1 V/rms which can be quite loud specially if you use IEMs. That is why you will find that the volume on the amp is set lower to achieve the same SPL as compared w/ the headphone out of the iPod. I have used quite a variety of iPods and line out docks, the sound has always been better via the dock. What dock/cable did you get?
Miguel
Darren/Audio Elevati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 7:50am
mrarroyo is right, you're bypassing the vol control circuitry and also the volume limiter (if you have a recent EU ipod).  If the sound is worse, that sounds like the dock lead is poor quality.  Also, as I've posted elsewhere on this forum, by the time it has spent a few months in and out of your coat pocket on the train, the dock lead will start to fail on you.

We offer a solution to the problem but this is a non-commercial community so you'll have to try to find out online what I'm talking about (or PM me!). 
Wink 
krismusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krismusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 9:11am
Thanks for the replies guys. Smile The dock is from eBay. Seems quite nice quality, with a Neutrik jack at one end. The dock connector looks a bit suspect though.
I keep my set up in a small bag, so I would have thought that the connectors should survive.
I had already spotted the product you refer to Darren. LOL I now have a quandary. Do I buy a "Better" LOD or spend my hard earned on a very nice jack to jack? Wink Thanks again.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 4:27pm
I am quite amazed that any dock connector works at all (maybe yours Darren are OK). We bought a few different types to try and IMHO the darned things are too small to ever be a viable connector never mind a good connector - which clever git invented them?

Or in posing such a question this way could I have upset a number of fans of a certain person?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
krismusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krismusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 4:39pm
More blunt Yorkshire from Graham. LOL Graham, what is your opinion of the iPod as a source? 
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 5:02pm
Nothing but praise! John looks after our Classic and when I get to sneak a listen via the Voyager that's strapped to it, everything sounds great (for digital...). It is a constant wonder to me that it all happened this way: the idea we (a friend - he was called Steve too - and me) had in the 70s was for each album to be on something the size of a chip and when you wanted to play one you'd plug it into a socket on the amp - we should have patented it there and then!

Edited by Graham Slee - 22 Jul 2009 at 5:05pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic