FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mac of all trades...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eduardo_nunez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eduardo_nunez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mac of all trades...
    Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 1:58pm
Hello, I've got a quick question about the Bitzie and would be grateful for any replies...

I used to use a PC laptop for mastering old tapes (cassette and dat) and had a little PCMCIA sound card that had a 2 ins and 2 outs arranged as 3.5mm jacks. The output doubled up as a headphone out and had a little pot for adjusting the volume. You can say what you like about computer audio but there's nothing like having an actual volume controller IMO!

Since moving back to a mac laptop I noted the gradual deprecation of the PCMCIA socket... (smaller, smaller, gone!) and I have reverted to using the built in headphone socket which is (ahem!) ok but 1) I am sure the DAC that someone at Apple selected could be improved upon, 2) Headphone amp ditto! 3) no volume pot!

I do already have a Voyager and have used this for a while with a little ipod mini and love the sound; the ipod can sound a bit hot and tiring without the voyager... In the interests of lightening (no pun intended) the amount of stuff to carry around I sometimes just use the Voyager with my iphone 6 using apple's dock connector and leave the ipod at home docked somewhere.

You may have guessed by now that I am thinking a Bitzie would be the answer for mobile monitoring with the macbook on the move, am I right? (Not too worried about recording on the move, too fiddly on the train!) I mainly edit files in Reaper but occasionally use Wavelab (my old favourite). The files are more often than not 16 or 24 bit and rarely more the 48Khz sampling frequency. I can see myself using the Bitzie with the Macbook or a Mac mini at home as a hifi source as well...

The added bonus would be I can use it on the move with my iPhone 6 as well, right? Again, the little dac in the Apple dock connector is (cough!) ok and the voyager never fails to work its magic...

Oh I forgot to say I use the voyager as a headphone amp with the macbook as well out of frustration from lack of physical pot, and it works its magic there too. Am assuming I am only going to gain by swapping apple's DACs out for the one in the Bitzie?

Thanks in advance :)

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 4:55pm
The Bitzie handles both the digital to analogue conversion and headphone amplification and is a truly excellent product. I am actually willing to sell mine as I have a spare Majestic and will soon add a Solo to it so I don't use the Bitzie now. I will take some photographs if you'd like to have a look.
eduardo_nunez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eduardo_nunez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:25am
Thanks very much for the offer... I see there is also another Bitzie available on the forum, spoiled for choice! I've requested one on loan as I would like to give it a go first... Will let you know how I get on. Incidentally, if anyone has any experience of the power drain on an iphone (6) please do let me know! I will find out soon enough I guess but interested to know people's experiences with any ios device...

Thanks again

Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic