FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

LP12 Power Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 11:03am
@shellspeed: Apologies for not replying to your email. It must have slipped the net.

The Valhalla is a motor driver designed to replace the far more simple mains and phase capacitor type of supply.

The full circuit can be seen here: http://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/63463243/23432455/egyeb/linn_valhalla_pc-as022_single_speed_33-rpm_crystal-driven_electronic_motor_control_pcb_1989_sch.pdf_1.png

Development of something similar to do essentially the same job is not only expensive to do, it is quite risky in that we may never recoup our development expenses through sales. Such expenses are considerable, especially when dealing with mains voltages - the resulting product having to comply with numerous safety standards. Consider that obtaining approvals to sell the PSU1 power supply cost £10K.

As we are FULL TIME and not part-time kitchen table engineers like many of our competitors are, we have to somehow pay the wages. I trust all readers will understand.

At the same time we are committed enthusiasts to high fidelity music reproduction, and we try to do our best to support those who want to reveal more of what their music contains.

We feel better placed in dealing with the amplification and signal processing path, of which we have considerable professional experience (considerably more than many other manufacturers people are easily willing to put their trust in).
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 1:27pm
I have an OL advanced motor kit on my Ingenium. Sonically it's an unequivocal improvement, but I was very unhappy with the build quality for the asking price, unlike their tonearms which I really like. It also seems a little temperamental, given to blips in stability. They did offer to investigate if I returned it, but I've moved on. Maybe I just got a Friday afternoon one. Will probably off load it & the TT at some point.

Edited by DaveG - 22 Apr 2015 at 1:28pm
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 2:05pm
I have no involvement with the controller's "development" but understand the output transistor was changed to PNP, and PNP's don't have the same bandwidth, and for a given design, stability components should change if the bandwidth has changed.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
shellspeed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 2:17pm

Thank you for all the replies. Graham, I completely understand where you are coming from with the development cost v recoup and don’t get me started on legislation!

I will say it’s a mine field of information and trying to get an honest, unbiased opinion is difficult.

I am enjoying using what I have but have never been able to leave anything alone for long (cars, bikes etc) but beyond a cable or banana plug have never had much to experiment with up to now. BUT a turntable is a whole new world of excitement and tweaking.

Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 10:23pm
I’ve got an Inspire HiFi DC psu. 
Bout 20% the price on a Linngo. 

L*nn products are good but WAY overpriced.
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 9:28am
eBay is full of second hand L*nn bits
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 4:57pm
Call me a cynic but L*nn 'improve' something on a regular basis, and while its good that all improvements are retrofittable, you wonder 'why' when other turntables don't have the same regular 'improvements'.

It's no surprise that eBay is full of used L*nn bits as a result.

FWIW, I'm an ex L*nn owner who woke up to their 'improvements' some time ago and bought a turntable from a company who seem to have got it pretty much 'right first time.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic