FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Jazz Recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Originally posted by kgilroy kgilroy wrote:

A Resonance Records recent release.

Resonance does interesting stuff for sure. Some of their releases can be a bit expensive though. I had a Sonny Rollins live release in my hand and had to put it back when I looked at the price tag! I might grab that one on CD as it's a bit cheaper. I have some Wes Montgomery and Grant Green releases from Resonance on vinyl from a few years ago. 

If you like the archival live recording stuff that Resonance does, check out Cellar Live/Reel to Real. They do a similar thing and put out quality stuff, not too expensive either. I have a couple of their releases and will pick up more when I can. Like Resonance, they do both vinyl and CD releases. 

Thanks for that link.  Yea, Resonance vinyl can be expensive and availability frustrating since they tend to do limited production RSD releases.  A lot of the archival live stuff can be a bit dicey depending on how well they are recorded. I bought most of the Bill Evans Resonance records and they are very good except for the one in the UK where recording quality is less than great and I didn't buy the recent one at Ronnie Scotts for that reason.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 2:47pm
Just discovered Keith Jarret! Amazing pianist, have ordered a couple of albums and watched a couple of youtube videos of him playing in trio; marvellous stuff I could listen to all day.

I’m also very interested in the Tone Poet releases from Blue Note but most seem to be on back order at the moment. The reviews are very positive for this series, mastered by Kevin Gray from original master tapes, and mostly in high quality gate fold sleeves using original photos etc.

Les

I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by less less wrote:

Just discovered Keith Jarret! Amazing pianist, have ordered a couple of albums and watched a couple of youtube videos of him playing in trio; marvellous stuff I could listen to all day.

I’m also very interested in the Tone Poet releases from Blue Note but most seem to be on back order at the moment. The reviews are very positive for this series, mastered by Kevin Gray from original master tapes, and mostly in high quality gate fold sleeves using original photos etc.

Les

There are 2 albums that Keith Jarrett made with Charlie Haden that are definitely worth a listen.  Jasmine and Last Dance.  Just piano and double bass.  The only thing about Keith Jarrett is that he occasionally likes to hum along in some of his recordings and you have to just accept that as part of his process.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:24pm
Yes, I did notice he has a rather idiosyncratic  style of playing! 

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:39pm
Keith Jarrett is an interesting guy. There is a documentary on him somewhere that's worth checking out. He recorded a lot of albums, and I certainly haven't heard them all.

Two famous ones are The Koln Concert and the Solo Concerts - Bremen/Lausanne. The latter was originally released as a 3xLP boxset. Both of these are on the ECM label, which released a lot of great stuff. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 1:30pm
Surprisingly Keith Jarrett also recorded Bach's Well Tempered Clavier.

A bit off topic but since you mentioned the Keith Jarrett documentary there are a few others that I can heartily recommend

Bill Evans - Time Remembered
Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool
Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser
The Jazz Loft According to W. Eugene Smith
Keith

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by kgilroy kgilroy wrote:

Just something a little different:

I have another one of Tod Gustavsen’s albums as a hires download but was looking for vinyl and hence this.  The music is very atmospheric but they still manage to swing.  All of his recordings sound good regardless of the media.

BTW I also love the Getz/Gilberto album mentioned in the last post.
I have three of the Tord Gustavsen Trio's albums (as downloads) and simply love them. Highly recommended! (Plus of course the Getz/Gilberto album!)
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic