FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

How simple can an audio computer be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 51>
Author
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 4:26pm
Chris, long while since I used PiCoreplayer, probably before I had a Touchscreen, so didn't realise that it could handle a Touchscreen.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 4:33pm
IIRC you need to install Samba to use a touch screen.

Correction - it's in Jivelite.

Edited by Chris Firth - 20 Jun 2020 at 4:36pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:12pm
If the Pi board chosen has Ethernet port, I could connect it to my main PC and use the PC to source the audio files to the Pi through a network, as long as it has enough bandwidth. Not really an advantage though, especially if the cable has poor shielding.

As for producing something to listen to, choices for ripping audio CD data to computer storage are: SATA vs USB vs PCI.

Why do I feel like this trail of thought is going to go full circle and it turns out USB was the most sensible option?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

If the Pi board chosen has Ethernet port, I could connect it to my main PC and use the PC to source the audio files to the Pi through a network, as long as it has enough bandwidth. Not really an advantage though, especially if the cable has poor shielding.

As for producing something to listen to, choices for ripping audio CD data to computer storage are: SATA vs USB vs PCI.

Why do I feel like this trail of thought is going to go full circle and it turns out USB was the most sensible option?

Why connect a RasPi to your PC?
Connect it to network and it can talk to whatever you want it to talk to .

On the ethernet cable front - UTP is generally best, as it doesn't have a screen to act as aerial and ground plane noise conduit.

USB is not an audio connection.
It's designed for connecting myriad devices together, and it can be used for audio, but it's also a great conduit for ground plane noise, which is sat there at extremely low amplitudes but still adversely affecting things.
You're better off having players that can be controlled over network, which interface directly with your amplification, and don't use USB.

Just my considered opinions Smile

Edited by Chris Firth - 20 Jun 2020 at 6:22pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:04pm
Advantages of a headless network player:

-Less cables (1. power supply   2. S/PDIF output   3. ethernet carrying digital audio data and user instructions to processor [could be wifi to eliminate cable])

-Host device can be a mobile device allowing you to be remotely located and not sat close to the receiving hardware. (Software makes it into a dedicated remote control.)

-Host device holds the data on microSD, eliminating USB

-No need for a TV or monitor to be connected to the Pi so another source of EMI is eliminated

Disadvantages:

-EMI from other devices??

-Latency or loss of connection??

So basically this is remote access, like what PC technicians can do to fix your computer through the internet.

So "streaming", in this context, is pretty much what I originally thought it was. Transmitting digital data wirelessly from a master device to a slave device.

Edited by Ash - 20 Jun 2020 at 7:18pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

So "streaming", in this context, is pretty much what I originally thought it was. Transmitting digital data wirelessly from a master device to a slave device.

It can be, but isn't necessarily so.
I control my streaming setup wirelessly (from laptop or Smartphone), but all the other connections are wired, for dependability as much as anything else.

My son's stuff is hooked up wirelessly to a business class router set up as wireless access point, but that's because I don't fancy pulling up the floor and throwing in ethernet cabling.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:49pm
Thanks for your advice. I will certainly give it some consideration. I do suspect that I will be substituting one set of problems for another, if I go down the networking route. I only listen on one device and it is always in the same room as the rest of my equipment.

But definite thanks though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 51>
  Share Topic