FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

How simple can an audio computer be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 51>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 12:46pm
I don't need to connect it to the internet so if the hardware of the Pi1A+ is adequate to run any of the OS you have suggested, all good. Bluetooth and wifi received by the more capable Pi3A+ may be detrimental to signal fidelity? Micro-signals are the most susceptible to EMI (smaller order of magnitude) so if I can remove it and put it in a metal case, might be a step in the right direction. The prices are so cheap that any of these boards are "low risk".
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 1:09pm
won’t you need the Internet for the UI or do you intend to attach a touchscreen to the Pi?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 1:44pm
I would prefer a touchscreen.

Will a mouse/keyboard with a TV not be able to navigate the operating system?
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 2:19pm
Most pi Music OSs are designed to run "headless" ie without a screen attached. The GUI can be on any browser used on Android, iOS or PC necessarily connected by WiFi or LAN. Touchscreens can be used directly attached to the Pi, the Pi 7" touchscreen being the easiest to implement as Moode and Volumio (Other OSs are available, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with them) have integral software specifically tailored for the Pi Touchscreen. 
Connection to a TV via the HDMI port is also possible, but needs some specific setup procedures as normally the HDMI port only accesses the OS command line for use with keyboard and mouse connected via USB.
If you don't intend connecting the Pi to the Internet, what music file sources are going to use? An SSD or USB memory stick connected to the Pi USB ports works well.
The uSD card used to load the OS can also contain Music files, but this has severe drawbacks. If you need to reload the OS any Music files on the uSD card will be lost. Some users also claim that reading music files from the uSD hinders the OS reading the uSD card, I've not tried it so am only passing on information.
The Moode forum provides a wealth of information and is a generally friendly place, a bit like here!
If that all sounds complicated, it isn't. It's all much in line with your topic heading - How simple can it be?

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 2:50pm
Thank you.

I have plenty of CDs that I can rip onto an SSD. This is all new territory for me. Whilst I'm not a technophobe, I am not up-to-date with modern technology as I don't need to use most of it. Shall be a learning curve.

Funny thing is though that audio data would be sourced from USB storage via a "noisy" bus when the rest of the streamer is designed to avoid USB.

Edited by Ash - 20 Jun 2020 at 2:59pm
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 4:19pm
I'm not yet entirely convinced about the merits of S/PDIF over USB. The Pi (and other SBCs) are configured to output an I2S signal which can then be processed by a HAT to give an S/PDIF signal, the processing may include various re-clocking processes. The S/PDIF signal is then re-processed before the DAC input, which again involves buffering and re-clocking, to present the reconstituted I2S.
Simplistically, as far as the digital information is concerned, a clean, well timed 0/1 stream should be presented to the Digital to Analogue Conversion process. Extraneous noise on the signal, if well below the switching threshold, should have little impact on the conversion process. Noise imposed on the power supply rails via whatever source, however will impact on the post conversion filters, buffer/output stages. EMI interference will be present at all stages, circuit design will determine what impact this has.
As I said that is a very simplified version of events, the point is though that with all that processing your "micro-signals" don't stand a chance of being preserved in the digital domain. If we were talking Analogue signals it's a very different story and we know someone that understands that. Wink
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 4:20pm
piCorePlayer can be set up to be both server and player simultaneously, and it's possible to connect a touch screen to drive the thing, just like a Squeezebox Touch.

Headless working is simple. and you can use a Smartphone to drive it with an appropriate app installed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 51>
  Share Topic